Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aftermarket shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Amsoil ATF. Yes if I didn't trust the person who told me about his I would doubt it too. But I changed and it made a very noticeable difference in my 5sp 2010. I only have 3000 miles and it made the shifts easier and smoother. i also use a Steeda shifter and have urethane motor mounts and while they helped the Amsoil was the biggest improvement for the money.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Amsoil ATF. Yes if I didn't trust the person who told me about his I would doubt it too. But I changed and it made a very noticeable difference in my 5sp 2010. I only have 3000 miles and it made the shifts easier and smoother. i also use a Steeda shifter and have urethane motor mounts and while they helped the Amsoil was the biggest improvement for the money.
Oh, I don't doubt it at all. What freaked me out initially was reading the owner's manual and finding out that Ford uses the same ATF for automatics AND manuals, thought it was a typo!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by csmoore88
I don't know much about cars, but I know THIS car. At least, how it feels. I bought a used Hurst competition plus from Mf classified, and I love it. No one can believe how solid it is. Smooth short throws and a more comfortable drive. No more knuckle scraping on a/c ***** or reaching over coke cans in cup holder. It did vibrate at first but a touch of loctite, some dyna mat and ingenuity and it is a whisper now. Very adjustable, and forty years tried and true. Sure others are good, but I know nothing about them

That's why you really can't provide input as to which is the best.
The only "feel" you know is the Hurst compared to the stock.
That has nothing to do with aftermarket vs aftermarket feel.
When it comes to comparing aftermarket vs aftermarket, you actually don't know how the car "feels" hehe.

Many of us have tried a good number of shifters or tried them in our friends shifters. Of course you wont have the problem of reaching over for a coke when the MGW lets you adjust even how tall it stands.

The MGW has no vibration EVEN on a cammed GT. The Hurst will vibrate quite a bit sometimes in cammed Mustangs, my buddies did.
He tried Dynamat and some other things and never could get it to go away.

The MGW makes no noise either.
It actually has a sound and thermal deflection technology built in to it.

Plus the MGW has a wider range of specific shift distance to choose from and it is EASY to adjust. You can fine tune the shift distance to your personal preference.

The MGW shifts from 2nd to 3rd MUCH smoother than other shifters.
You can powershift SO easily with these it isn't even funny.

Yes I had the MGW but that is not why I am saying this.
I have driven quite a few mustangs with different shifters and I can tell you even my buds that have the others agree the MGW is quite a bit better.

There's NO WAY I would recommend like this or say it is the best
if I hadn't tried the others and liked a different one over this one.
I don't say one is better just because I had it.
Heck I liked the JLT CAI my buds have A LOT better than the
C&L I had.

Again the other shifters really aren't in the same league as the MGW.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 AM
csmoore88

Sounds like mgw all the way. However, I never intended my post to be a comprehensive comparison between aftermarket shifters Rather, a testimonial to the Hurst as an example to someone seeking information for an obviously difficult decision. I never meant to hurt the feelings of the mgw (or its driver) I believed that sharing our experiences, in my case limited knowledge, was the spirit of the forum. Am I wrong?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

I want to thank everyone who responded to my cry for help here. I was down to the MGW and the Steeda(basically because I literally live around the corner from Steeda)when I missed 3rd again going to breakfast yesterday. That does it, sez I, and I flipped a coin right there in the parking lot of the IHOP. Right after I finished my Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity, I went home and ordered a new MGW. Thanks again and I am just overwhelmed with the collective wisdom on this forum. Next up, CAI, tune and exhaust!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Callinectes
I want to thank everyone who responded to my cry for help here. I was down to the MGW and the Steeda(basically because I literally live around the corner from Steeda)when I missed 3rd again going to breakfast yesterday. That does it, sez I, and I flipped a coin right there in the parking lot of the IHOP. Right after I finished my Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity, I went home and ordered a new MGW. Thanks again and I am just overwhelmed with the collective wisdom on this forum. Next up, CAI, tune and exhaust!
You will like the New MGW ........
Another one of my Buddies just installed his a few days ago and Luv's it.

tigerhonaker
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Well, it's been Hurst for me from day one. I Just Recently upgraded from Comp/Plus to Billet/ Plus. Noticeably a real solid unit without noise/vibration and good 2nd to 3rd action..
Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
You will like the New MGW ........
Another one of my Buddies just installed his a few days ago and Luv's it.

tigerhonaker
Got it in last night. Just taking it out of the box reminded me of unpacking jet engine parts when I was in the Air Force. Really a quality piece. Anyway, installation was pretty straight forward. I guess it needs a few miles to loosen up a little, but other than that it is really sweet. Now it's just a little shove forward from 2nd, 2 clicks, and I'm in 3rd. Every time! I can't wait to get out tonight and burn up some 93 octane just for the fun of driving the thing!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Callinectes
Got it in last night. Just taking it out of the box reminded me of unpacking jet engine parts when I was in the Air Force. Really a quality piece. Anyway, installation was pretty straight forward. I guess it needs a few miles to loosen up a little, but other than that it is really sweet. Now it's just a little shove forward from 2nd, 2 clicks, and I'm in 3rd. Every time! I can't wait to get out tonight and burn up some 93 octane just for the fun of driving the thing!
Just as a heads-up on adjusting it.
It seems many go with 4-5 turns on shortening the throw.
Just thought you might like to know.

tigerhonaker
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Nobody will say anything is better than the MGW if they are being honest.

There is just NO WAY.
If they say that they have not tried the MGW and do not know, or they have and they just claim theirs is better out of being a fanboy.

I do not hold any complete allegiance to any aftermarket company.
Just because I own one company's product does not mean I will say it is
better than another company's. TOO MANY people do this.

When it comes to short throw shifters and comparing aftermarket companies.
The MGW makes THE BEST shifter. PERIOD.
I will not say this about any other aftermarket company really when it comes to one mod against another. It is a VERY rare occasion when I do.

This is because many times the mod themselves have different aspects about it that are better, and worse, compared to that mod made by a different company.

There are ALWAYS a few exceptions of course.
Of course this does not apply to comparing some sort of no name, floppy company that flat out makes a piece of crap compared to another company that has a history of making good products as well as the one being spoken about.

Still though... bottom line.
Of all the companies out there that make good quality, solid, well performing shifters...

Every single aspect of the MGW shifter is the best compared to other company's shifters out there.
NONE of them has a shifter that is better, or as good as the MGW short throw shifter.
As I said..not even in ANY single aspect of the shifter either.

After trying every major company's shifter out there, I can say this with COMPLETE confidence.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket shifters?