Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Can exhaust sound like a Boss'... is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Did it have the side baffle exhaust plates removed? I just took mine out, car sounds like an absolute hot rod now, when I down shift it lets out a gargling sound unlike anything I've ever heard from another exhaust, no way I'm I putting an after market kit on now.

i believe the laguna's have them already removed; and like you said, yours can be removed.

is there a kit, or can there be a custom part made to create a side baffle/muffler combo on the 4.6 like the bosses have?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
i believe the laguna's have them already removed; and like you said, yours can be removed.

is there a kit, or can there be a custom part made to create a side baffle/muffler combo on the 4.6 like the bosses have?
I don't think I've ever seen one, that doesn't mean there isn't but I haven't.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Get a Bassani Race axle back/ catted x-pipe/ long tube headers and laugh at how silly the BOSS sounds.

Bassanis have a higher pitched, more exotic tone @ WOT that you might be looking for. It def stands out in the crowd of 3v exhaust setups.
Right now I'm running cutback magna pacs. I like the sound and there is no drone.

BUT

I'm in process of installing M90 with VMP500HP kit and Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams. With the car apart, I've thought about this exact setup with long tubes and Bassanis. I've heard it on YouTube and it sounds sick!

Question - does the LT/Bassanis setup drone? How loud is it on freeway?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I can't speak for the longtubes, but mine do have a slight drone...it's not bad from my experience (my stepfather had a 86 vette with gutted cats and flowmasters; I could actually feel my inner ear vibrating). Bassanis really are just a big resonator, you can see through it...it's just a pipe with holes in it surrounded by whatever they stuff it with these days. I've heard the LTs with Bassanis on another car and it sounded like mine but much deeper. As for loudness on the freeway, it's loud but I can talk to a passenger without raising my voice.
I wish there was a way to get a good recording; I'd post a clip of mine.