Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Can exhaust sound like a Boss'... is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Question Can exhaust sound like a Boss'... is it possible?

I had the privilege to hear a Laguna Seca Boss the other day and I fell in love with the sound; it literally sounded like a 'refined' race/track car. Now, I know there are a ton of differences between the Boss' 5.0 and a 2005's 4.6 as far as engine/exhaust goes (like the side exits at the h-pipe for one), but I was wondering if anyone thought it could be possible for a 4.6 to sound similar to the Boss... what all parts would you need?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You could take a good look at the underneath and get someone with a mandrel bender to make you a custom set lol.

Maybe Ford will offer the exhaust setup soon and perhaps you could make it fit the 4.6 with some small adjustments.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

I don't think you can ever get a 4.6L to sound even like a 5.0 just b/c the 5.0 is DOHC
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^ you're right, it'd never sound the same; the different displacement would make quite a difference too... of course, you could possibly stroke the 4.6

i wonder if you could buy parts of the boss exhaust setup through ford and have a shop custom fit them... they'd probably turn you away from those parts like they did certain bullitt parts
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Get a Bassani Race axle back/ catted x-pipe/ long tube headers and laugh at how silly the BOSS sounds.

Bassanis have a higher pitched, more exotic tone @ WOT that you might be looking for. It def stands out in the crowd of 3v exhaust setups.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ricardo is right about how good that setup sounds.
I had this setup with cams and it ROCKS. I have heard MANY setups in real life and I must say
this is by far one of the best... really may be THE best.

I had SLP loudmouths first and they were TOO loud with the long tubes etc.
I went back to stock mufflers and they werent loud or aggressive enough.
Then I went with the Bassani and loved them.

Someone I know has a new BOSS and I have heard his car a number of times.
It does sound really good but I think that setup with the Bassani sound better.
The idle sounds deeper and better than the BOSS and at WOT it sounds much better.
Even though the BOSS does sound great like I said.

Ricardo has the same setup without cams. I have heard his car and it sounds
GREAT. I cant remember if you have long tubes or not Ricardo...refresh my memory lol.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-18-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

No headers. I wish.
Yeah also remember the BOSS has a 7500 RPM redline, making it a screamer.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The 3v exhaust is such a hard tone to tame. I had the perfect tone for what I was wanting then I went and added the m90 blower and it just overpowered it. Now with two sets of resonators it still isnt what I want at half to full throttle. It has a slappy sound that irrrates me.

The Boss exhaust is simply amazing. Who wouldnt want that tone? LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Did it have the side baffle exhaust plates removed? I just took mine out, car sounds like an absolute hot rod now, when I down shift it lets out a gargling sound unlike anything I've ever heard from another exhaust, no way I'm I putting an after market kit on now.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

The two things a BOSS has that are unique among mustangs is the side exit dumps just ahead of the rear wheels (there is a diffuser baffle there), and the firing order has been changed to that of the original flathead V8 from 1932-1953. The firing order alone is what makes those engines sound so cool and they are the original hotrod V8. I think you can replicate the exhaust system from the BOSS on anything and , without that firing order, it won't sound as good.

Quick Reply: Can exhaust sound like a Boss'... is it possible?