Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

the best cams??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Powered by Ford

Originally Posted by GerRod
Have you had any others to compare to your stock cams?
Driven other s197s with cams to know I wouldn't want them (yes, they had good tunes too). FRPP HRs and Comp NSRs were the ones I drove.

I like corner carving some of these cams felt like they were bogging at low speeds.

Personally I feel the money, bang for the buck is better invested in a supercharger, you can make more than enough power to grenade the stock engine without even touching the valvetrain.

The HR and pseudocams do sound intoxicating.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Powered by Ford

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
WTF? UNLESS you want a dyno number queen?
WTF does that have to do with anything? Cams give you much more than numbers!

They give you plenty of power that you can FEEL.
They are in NO WAY just about number gain. Again I say.. the power
gained you CAN and DO feel.

Plus they make the car feel unlike any other thing can with a car.
There is much more than just NUMBERS and sound to cams.

I understand the stock cams are plenty good in these cars. No flamming for saying the stock cams are "fine" and "good".
But the aftermarket ones ADD even more. And again driveability is NO issue unless you get an overly aggressive cam.
I don't understand ANY other statement you made in your reply besides the stock cams are good . They hold no weight my friend.
Woah woah, Blacksmoke - I don't think I made myself clear. The point I was trying to say is that cams are a supplumentary mod. The money for cams is better saved for boost if you are looking at best bang for the buck. Also Ford engineers knew what they were doing and the 3V was finally a good modular GT production engine with much more potential than the 2V's. I should've elborated on that.

Yes, you can argue cams make the boosted motor more efficient yes, but there is always a compromise But my philosphy is why? Just add more boost if you would more power. I haven't modded my 07 GT yet, but cams are not on the list. I loved test driving the 2010 Roush TVS2300, stock out of boost, but boy did it open up under boost.

I do have to slightly disagree with you on driveability, almost always there is a degree of less driveability when you change the cam profile to something more radial. However, the 3V can compensate with timing, but I noticed different driving characteristics with a friend's Comp NSR and other's FRPP Hot Rods.

Sometimes its funny to stir the pot - that's kind of what I did here, my friend.

I apologize if I came off as an ***.

Last edited by Powered by Ford; 08-22-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Powered by Ford
Woah woah, Blacksmoke - I don't think I made myself clear. The point I was trying to say is that cams are a supplumentary mod. The money for cams is better saved for boost if you are looking at best bang for the buck. Also Ford engineers knew what they were doing and the 3V was finally a good modular GT production engine with much more potential than the 2V's. I should've elborated on that.

Yes, you can argue cams make the boosted motor more efficient yes, but there is always a compromise But my philosphy is why? Just add more boost if you would more power. I haven't modded my 07 GT yet, but cams are not on the list. I loved test driving the 2010 Roush TVS2300, stock out of boost, but boy did it open up under boost.

I do have to slightly disagree with you on driveability, almost always there is a degree of less driveability when you change the cam profile to something more radial. However, the 3V can compensate with timing, but I noticed different driving characteristics with a friend's Comp NSR and other's FRPP Hot Rods.

Sometimes its funny to stir the pot - that's kind of what I did here, my friend.

I apologize if I came off as an ***.
Just saying "adding more boost" is not really good thing to say.
That is the quickest way to grenade an engine.
It's more complicated than that.

Now.. you said in your last post the F.I. alone is plenty enough to grenade your engine. Of course that's true. As with ANY engine.

Cams as I said are not just for numbers and they do add power.
So does more boost.
BUT cams also have other things to offer like the feel of the cams, and the sound. So it has plenty to offer that is more than "just adding boost".

Yes of course you can add more boost for more power. But
1. adding more boost can be much more complicated than the way you put it.
2. Perhaps the person wants more than just more power. They also would like the way cams make the car feel, and how it sounds.

I like corner carving some of these cams felt like they were bogging at low speeds.
If the car felt like it was bogging down... on either of those cams, Then there was a tuning issue.

As far as drivebility I guess we agree to disagree.
But ask 99.9 percent of the owners with these Mustangs and cams.
They will tell you there is no driveability loss.
A more aggressive cam will make the driveability issue come into play.
But adding more boost also adds other things that can and do often come into play.

It depends on what you are looking for.
But in no way are cams not a good bang for your buck mod and your argument is only taking into consideration performance when cams both up the performance, AND add other desirable characteristics to the car.

Not only that but some people are just not the F.I. type of people.
Cams make good power for the buck and have other things to offer as well.

We ALL know that F.I. is the quickest way to add power. That is a given.
But that does not mean cams are not a good way to make power as well and do not have really good things to offer
on TOP of just adding power.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-22-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I'm putting the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers with the blower grind. They seem to be the "mildest" for good drivability and they should pair nicely with my M90 going in. For me it was ALL about the sound. If I don't get a single extra HP from the cams, but it gets that nasty idle, then I am happy. The M90 will I've me the HP I want anyway
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by FastDEW
For me it was ALL about the sound. If I don't get a single extra HP from the cams, but it gets that nasty idle, then I am happy. The M90 will I've me the HP I want anyway
This quote will be replaced with you talking about the awesome shake the car has when those cams go in!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Hot Rods or the Detroit Rockers.

We went with the Hot Rods because we liked the sound a bit better when comparing them to our friend's that had the Rockers. They both sound AWESOME though.

The other reason we went with the Hot Rods is just because the place we went to that installed them along with the long tubes had done the Hot Rods many times, and also tuned cars with them many times before, so we figured even though they are both NSR cams, that going with the cam they do all the time "might" be simpler for them... even though it would have been virtually the same.

Congrats on the cams, if you haven't had them installed yet I bet you are pretty stoked about it.
I think you will love them!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
This quote will be replaced with you talking about the awesome shake the car has when those cams go in!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Hot Rods or the Detroit Rockers.

We went with the Hot Rods because we liked the sound a bit better when comparing them to our friend's that had the Rockers. They both sound AWESOME though.

The other reason we went with the Hot Rods is just because the place we went to that installed them along with the long tubes had done the Hot Rods many times, and also tuned cars with them many times before, so we figured even though they are both NSR cams, that going with the cam they do all the time "might" be simpler for them... even though it would have been virtually the same.

Congrats on the cams, if you haven't had them installed yet I bet you are pretty stoked about it.
I think you will love them!
I have ordered all of the parts. Everything should be here by this weekend. My brother and I will tackle the install(s) next week.

M90 plus VMP500HP kit plus Detroit Rockers! Can you tell I'm excited!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Awesome man!
CONGRATS!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

wow thanks, i am worried about getting regrinds cuz i hear bad things about them maybe i should go with the ford racing hot rods, i brought up the comps because i heard the muthr thumpr was the biggest cam the stock head can hold safetly and i wanna get the most performance i can out of it
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
wow thanks, i am worried about getting regrinds cuz i hear bad things about them maybe i should go with the ford racing hot rods, i brought up the comps because i heard the muthr thumpr was the biggest cam the stock head can hold safetly and i wanna get the most performance i can out of it
The lift on the entire Thumpr line is the same. What Comp Cams changes with each profile is the duration.

The Hot Rods actually increase lift from .433 (11mm) to .472 (12mm) and they are safe as well with the stock springs.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I have Comp Cams ***** Thumpr cams, and I do have drivability issues below 2k rpms. Not a big deal to me since I have another vehicle for daily driving. Power is slightly reduced between 2k-3k rpm, but at 3k they cams really kick it. 4.10s make sure I get there fairly quickly. My car does sound awesome with the cams, which is why I got them. That is what the Muthr Thumprs are all about. CAI, CMCV delete plates, 4.10s, LTs, O/R X, M80s, FlowMaster American Thunders, and MT cams make for an incredible ride both from sound and power. Plus, everyone (aside from neighbors) love the sound. Took about 8 exhaust configurations to get it right, but it was totally worth it.

I don't think that you can go wrong with Hod Rod, Detroit Rockers, or ***** Thumpr cams if you are looking for some power and a lot of sound!

If you do get cams and LTs with an X-pipe, I would try and stay away from Borla Stingers. I had them and they were obnoxiously loud and 'tingy' sounding that trumpeted like you wouldn't believe. Maybe a catted X-pipe would help, but who wants that?

Good luck with your decision.

Dyno Chart Below: Before and after adding CMCV delete plates, UDPs, and ***** Thumprs (Stage II):

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6025/1000953h.jpg

Last edited by JasperGT; 08-26-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add dyno chart