Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

whats next, i need power

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
csmoore88

Default whats next, i need power

OK, I have just begun to modify this car. I have: jlt c.a.I.., upr o/r x, steeds u/d pulleys, sss adrenaline axle back, Hurst short throw, frpp Shorties, and tied together with a bama tune. My 4.10s will be here tomorrow. Lowering springs and stage 1 clutch, 255/35/20 nitto 555 and few cosmetics. Now, here is problem. It is still too WEAK! I need power. What do I do next? Maybe intake Manifold with cams and throttle body? Or charge motion delete? Or do I start saving for forced induction? Do I need to build bottom end first? My goal is 450 horse with a coilover, built, suspension with all the goodies. Once again a greenhorn thanks you.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

what's a greenhorn? Also, FI (SC or TT)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

FI is the expensive route but in the long run is the best idea. Nitrous is the cheapest answer but eventually will cost more than FI after so many refills on the bottle & god help ya if you lean the motor out & blow it. I personally love nitrous. I just choose to employ ALL options for it though to maintain safety. To be fair though, FI can just as easily blow the motor up as well. Your other bolt ons you mentioned will not give that much more power. Even combining the CMDP's,Cams & Manifold all together will see a noticable differance but you will not see 450 rwhp on bolt ons alone. Its been tried by numerous folks & the best results are typicaly around 380 rwhp. Hope this helps ya out! Have fun with the car!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You are to the point where the other little mods are'nt going to do a lot for you.

You need to be thinking about Cams, or going forced induction with a supercharger or turbo. I dont' ever say nitrous. I am one of those that HATE it.
I would rather have a mod that is there working all the time and not have to be buying bottles.

If you don't want to shell out 7k, I would get some cams and a set of
long tubes and a mid pipe.

This will net you about 40RWHP, which for the money is a pretty good
amount of power.

I would skip the manifold. Not worth the money in my opinion, and you REALLY lose low end power with it.

Some people say they lose a LITTLE low end with cams but if you get the car tuned good you will not.
We had 0 loss of trq or HP with the Hot Rods.

Superchargers are a blast to have but if you don't have the cash cams are
AWESOME and man are they a BLAST to have in the car!
You get the power, the awesome lope sound, and that shake of the car you get with them
is so friggin' badass I can't really describe it. When we had the 06GT we modded it out.
Our FAVORITE mod to the car was the cams by FAR.

They just made the car so much MEANER and like I said they were a BLAST to drive with!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Forget everything and just go FI. If you want 400+ HP, dont waste your money on anything but a supercharger. Hate to break it to you to, but those 20's are killing you dude. Too heavy, to much wheel to turn over steals your power.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM
csmoore88

I know how limited bolt one are as far as HP. I only mentioned my ultimate power goal because it always helps to understand where we are going to justify the means. Still undecided on what type of forced induction but know it is necessary for the gains I want. However, what I don't know is what bolt one will yield the most in the meantime. Or, what my car needs to handle the eventual power. When I bolt on a SC, I don't want to be forced to put pistons or heads or came or something at the same time. I want to do all the smaller stuff first so when I save 7k$, I just bolt it up and drop the hammer. PS, a greenhorn is a newbie.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by csmoore88
I know how limited bolt one are as far as HP. I only mentioned my ultimate power goal because it always helps to understand where we are going to justify the means. Still undecided on what type of forced induction but know it is necessary for the gains I want. However, what I don't know is what bolt one will yield the most in the meantime. Or, what my car needs to handle the eventual power. When I bolt on a SC, I don't want to be forced to put pistons or heads or came or something at the same time. I want to do all the smaller stuff first so when I save 7k$, I just bolt it up and drop the hammer. PS, a greenhorn is a newbie.
The only reason you should go FI first is most of the other "bolt ons," I don't consider cams a bolt on, will be built around the supercharger. You will want parts that go with the supercharger not parts that are incompatible. FI is the most immediate expensive route, but in the end is the fastest and easiest route to gain A LOT of power.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

FI is what u want. If you want 450 then I believe the m90 may get you there if not then you can always get a saleen or KB or Edelbrock systems. First question should be do you have high flow cats or no cats. If you ever go with cats you will want metallic high flow cats. I do believe your udp's are gonna be worthless if you fi. Let us know what application you decide on.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

U/Dp will be a waste of $$$$. FI uses stock harmonic balancer.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
U/Dp will be a waste of $$$$. FI uses stock harmonic balancer.
For the most part, yes. I know at least Brenspeed though can do some pulley changes on the the supercharger to negate the UDP (i.e. go to one that would normally give you 12 and you end up with 10). That was one of the options we talked about when I was looking to slow the blower down a bit.

Quick Reply: whats next, i need power