Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patrick533
It it is out of warranty "go for it!". I just had my whole engine replaced by the steelership, picked it up last night. Received a major lecture for having aftermarket plugs in my car. They said they "could" have voided my warranty. Not quite sure how unless they came apart and caused damage. But you know hot to tell when they are lying!
I'd have to throw the BS flag on that one.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Steve did you know about the tool you can use to the broken parts out. 600 made me ****
Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Patrick533

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I'd have to throw the BS flag on that one.
My thoughts too, they looked for EVERY way they could to get out of replacing that engine. After market plugs, Mobile1 5w-30 all commanded a lecture but they still replaced the engine in the end.....

I'm not a huge fan of Champion, but the one piece design is much better!

As I was walking out the door of the Steelership the service rep opened her door and yelled "remember, NO MORE AFTERMARKET PLUGS!"

I smiled and waived as I pulled out with my car and it's new engine
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Perhaps they should explain why aftermarket plugs are such a "no-no" if they have such a strong opinion or are they just against any and all aftermarket parts?
I have Champion one piece plugs in mine and have experienced no performance issues at all. The only issue in my mind is that they don't get stuck and therefore no need to visit Ford to get them out (loss of revenue for the Stealership). I would suspect that the heat range etc. would be similar to the factory specs - why would Champion design a plug different enough to cause problems?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Steve Aiken

No I did not know about the tool at the time but figured of course someone had come up with one to address this problem. This sad event happened late Sunday. I just drove the truck to work and had the GT towed to the dealer. They already had a "plan" and price for a fix. Flushing the fuel injection system with magic go go juice and removal of the broken plug and a guaranty to pull any others that broke for 600 or so $$. They also would not put in the plugs that I had already bought for $20 a piece since they insisted on using Theirs. What can you do? I am at a place where my time is better spend doing other things than fixing my car. As you age you learn to choose your battles
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Might be moot now - but you can change the plugs and put in the one piece plugs you bought now with no problem. They put some high temp "Never Sieze" on the snorkle to help prevent future sticking. I suppose what they did is a permanent fix but who knows. (or perhaps you can try to take the plugs you bought back and get a refund which - probably makes more sense).
I know about picking your battles. I sometimes get into trouble doing things I should have known better not to do - but I can't help myself. Things usually turn out OK though LOL!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Dealerships are dump I had bought some wheel studs and of course they were aftermarket and the guy was giving me **** about them. The stock ones are so cheap
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Patrick533

Them(Steelership) and every shop around makes a good chunk of change replacing the factory plugs, I have seen prices vary from $300 to over a $1000 to replace these plugs. Then champion comes along and "fixes" the problem and kills a money machine. I don't think their trying to void warranties would stand up in court and when I made it clear that is were we were heading, they gave in, after a month.......

But that opens up a LOT of questions, serpentine belt? I have had great luck with Goodyear. Headlights, Silver Star ultras caused the alternator to go bad? Just a couple of thoughts. When they seen the Puralotor filters for my kids car on the receipts I gave them for service, that raised an eyebrow. Then I said keep going, low and behold was the Motorcraft filter.

One of the manifold runner butterflies comes off and gets sucked through my engine, tears up the engine and we are going over maintenance records with a fine tooth comb? The manifold had never been off a stock car and I didn't see a path for oil to get to the runner or a place for the spark plug to contact the manifold runner? They were just looking for a way to get out of paying!

The level of corporate greed in the US is at a all time high! When I was street racing plugs were 99 cents on sale and a quart of oil was darn close to the same.

Once the break in and warranty is up on this new engine, I'm going back to Champions and 5W-30! Their own mechanic said the top end of my car looked "new" with 80K on it. Seems that Mobile 1 5W-30 was not that bad either.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Steve Aiken

I was able to exchange the spark plugs for merchandise. I needed some race gas jugs anyway.
We all need to realize that things are not just black and white with the Dealers. They have to make their margin to survive. If they are not efficient then our system of free enterprise will eliminate them. They have their place and in many cases are not the right place to go for our cars. Ideally we fix our own stuff. Next we find a local expert who can. Finally we supposedly have factory trained mechanics through the Dealer. None of these approaches is fool proof and it always is fate.
Besides Mustangs, I love Porsche 911's. I have had at least one from 40 years ago to the present. If you want to talk challenging car servicing this one takes the cake. I have been burned by the factory mechanics, local experts, and myself even after putting myself through 911 maintenance school. So you just make your best decisions, learn as much as possible, and go with the flow, and try to smile. Nice cars are just super fun but come with a price, just like hot chicks. Have fun
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patrick533
It it is out of warranty "go for it!". I just had my whole engine replaced by the steelership, picked it up last night. Received a major lecture for having aftermarket plugs in my car. They said they "could" have voided my warranty. Not quite sure how unless they came apart and caused damage. But you know hot to tell when they are lying!
We should all read and understand the following from the Federal Trade Commission regarding the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Just having an aftermarket part that is designed as a replacement part in your car (or washing machine or computer) is not a reason for a dealer to void a warranty. If the part replaced was installed incorrectly causing other damage, they could have a point. But I bet a call or e-mail to Champion (or Mobil 1 or Purolator) customer service reporting that Ford (and its dealership) is trying to say that you voided your warranty simply by using a Champion Spark Plug, the correct Mobil 1 oil or a Purolator filter that was made specifically for your engine, would definitely get some support from them.

Just mentioning the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would likely stop them in their tracks.

But if you add a supercharger and blow your "in warranty" engine... you're screwed! Common sense must be used.

Quick Reply: 2005 plug replacement