Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

water leak under dash... and it's not the cowl grommets!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

MBALOGH

I am having the same issue. I have not checked the lattice support but my issue seems to be water coming in from the seam above the SJB.

My weather strip has deformations in it but after ordering a new one here, I don't think it caused it.

I will have to check the tape on the hard plastic strip on the outside.

My next step is to take the dash out, I have already removed most everything below it (except for airbag).

I have determined that it is not the cabin filter or grommets

You can follow my thread on this issue here

Hopefully I can get some pictures this weekend when I have more time to show where my leak is coming from.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
luigisf

Default Hello

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I just discovered this issue in my 06 v6 since rain has been scarce is Austin this year. And after much frustration I turned to YouTube, and I found a handful of videos with people having the same problem. I found one in which this guy says that the problem is a filter thing that is in the engine compartment near the firewall. The video didn't show much, but I went to my car to look for it. Sure enough, if you stick your hand on the left side of the engine next to the battery, you might feel a something I would describe feels like a tea bag. I stuck my fingers inside the little bag and it was full of dirt and leaves, as soon as I took it all out, all the water still inside poured out.

I have read around, but don't understand much of the terms. I'm not quite sure if you guys know about this, so excuse my ignorance. But this simple 30 second clean up seemed to solve my problem. So it looks like this clogged drain might be the issue.

Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLLh...el_video_title

Again, sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM
GTgirlCA

Default Water Leak Under Dash

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie here and I experienced the same issue with my 06 GT Conv today for the first time after washing my car. It hasn't rained in months here in sunny southern CA. In past vehicles it has always been a clogged drain hole between the hood and windshield, but, this time I have been unsuccessful locating any such clogs.

However, you all have given so many suggestions, that I am confident that with all your suggestions, I will locate the problem. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

Will report my results.