Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

highest milage supercharged/stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default highest milage supercharged/stock motor?

Just trying to get an idea of how long our stock motors last before something breaks...

I was thinking about going forged, but I completely forgot about the present issue of having to take the Vortech off every winter

I was thinking about going with the TVS and either running 8 psi and Brenspeed supercharger grind cams OR just running the 10 psi and just keeping it that way.

I believe either way will net the same gains with the TVS.

If I do go with the TVS route, I'll keep the motor indefinitely while working on the drivetrain (Torque converter/one piece driveshaft etc.)

Or I could go forged but continually be dealing with taking it on and off x2 a year (spring/winter). Not terribly difficult, but I have removed it a total of 4x already within the past YEAR!

Simple solution would be to go forged and then do the TVS.. yeah.. not gonna happen, especially since they're both $6k a pop= about $12k total.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. ah screw it.. I'll get the TVS@8 psi and CAMs just for now and enjoy it.

I'll eventually get the forged motor down the line, this way, I can at least get rid of the problem of taking off the damn V3 every friggin' winter rofl

I figure, if I go forged now.. I'll still be stuck with the removal/install process until I can afford the TVS. Still making only about 50whp more than I am now due to the limitations of the stock auto trans...
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

just curious, why do you take it off?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Google "vortech winter warning" and you'll understand.. unfortunately, I had already installed the blower and found the envelope at the bottom of the box.

dOH!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 AM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

dammit, cause I just got mine installed, I missed the warning. if it only gets to 20 degrees average in the winter here, should I be ok if I let it warm up?

Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-12-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

hmm.. not sure, but I personally wouldn't start it up at that temp.

The exact start up is the exact same point of destruction unfortunately.

Tight internal clearances, everything shrinks, oil is too cold= failure.

Not a question of "if" but when.. look around online enough and you'll find out the horror stories of the teeth being destroyed on start up, bearings going bad etc.

Read the warning closely and they will NO longer cover it under warranty any longer.

A few people(Canadians!) busted their older V1-V2 (oil fed) heat units and they were covered. No longer though.

I live up North and it gets down to -35 for weeks at a time. I am even starting to doubt the TVS at that point honestly...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 AM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

damn that's such bs, Indiana gets pretty cold. of course I get the one that breaks easily. seriously didn't see the envelope I had brenspeed install it, and no one told me about that warning. I don't want to take it off, anybsuggestions?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

shiet.. that's exactly how I felt. I would think that them being in Cali and me being in Alaska would at least give them a red flag, and at least alert me about it.

Per their instructions, a shop light on the blower over night or a warming blanket.

I thought about everything under the sun and realized it was just best to take it off.

Oil pan heater pad on the back of the blower, attached to a timer.. lower vescocity oil (voids warranty IMMEDIATELY btw).. still nothing. What happens when you park at the movies for a few hours and it's cold out? Or work? or school?

I just took mine off and just dealt with it lol

Of course Brenspeed will tell you it's an oil slinger that cannot function correctly due to the cold, but mention nothing of the internal clearance issues per Vortech, or just "let it warm and it'll be okay " etc...

I don't know what to tell you actually.. I am getting rid of mine a couple weeks from now.. taking it off once and for all. The FIFTH and FINAL time rofl
Old 09-12-2011, 02:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

well I am gonna see if brenspeed will take it back and get me a Paxton.

Quick Reply: highest milage supercharged/stock motor?