Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

For anyone thinking about the FRPP intake manifold with charge motion deletes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up For anyone thinking about the FRPP intake manifold with charge motion deletes...

Hello everyone!

In my neverending quest to add stuff to my GT, earlier today I installed the FRPP intake manifold with charge motion plate deletes, bought from American Muscle. Just thought I would share my experiences for anyone else thinking of doing it! I'll do a write up of the whole thing and post photos for everyone to see when the camera gets home. I got it done about 2 hours ago but my wife took our daughter to her parents and stole the camera!

First off, it wasn't necessarily a straight up/direct swap from the factory intake. There is one particular part that you have to "modify" one of the hard plastic vacuum lines, and that is probably the most tedious and difficult part of the whole thing. I'm a long way from a dealership, so if it broke... Yeah. Also, I have a BBK CAI and a BBK 62mm throttle body, and they... Didn't like this intake. There was some muscle/modification necessary to make them work as well. The new intake does not come with the studs that the factory intake manifold did, so I had to purchase some bolts to get the throttle body on. The intake is a little larger, and longer... So the CAI was a really tight fit, actually I am a little uncomfortable with it as is, and may be doing something different. Just too much pressure on it and the filter/fittings. Through that, the vacuum line that goes from the CAI/throttle body area to the passenger side valve cover, was far too short, and I had to go buy some plain vacuum line to make it work. The only other thing it didn't like, was the strut tower brace. The intake is too tall for it to fit. Couldn't even slide a piece of paper between the top of the manifold and the bottom of the brace. Some things to be aware of if you're thinking of doing it!

Aside from that, the installation was relatively easy. Everything else lined up, the bolts/washers the intake manifold came with were perfect and easy to use. Fuel injector rail went on easily, oh! Also, this intake comes with a new fuel line to connect the rails, as the factory one is too short using this manifold. That was easy to set up though, took all of about 2 minutes. However, after putting the rails in and starting the car, the o-rings around all the injectors were leaking, producing a loud hissing sound. So be prepared to change your injector o-rings as well. That was easy, took another 5 minutes, problem solved!

After installation, I set up the new tune from Bama (required as the charge motion delete I was told would cause havoc if I didn't update my tune! Probably not a good idea to install this manifold unless you have a tuner! Even the instructions from Ford said this manifold can damage the car if it is not tuned for it, in huge bold letters. May not be true, but I got my tune updated anyway.) Then I started the car. Idle shot straight up to about 3,000 RPM! But it went right down to about 750, became stable, and I let it sit for a few minutes as I picked up my tools. The whistle that the BBK CAI made before with the stock manifold, was made even louder! Shut the hood, took her for a spin...

This made a very noticeable difference. My car would sometimes bog a bit at lower RPM before, now it shoots right up the range when I hit it. It's not like it added 50 horsepower or anything, but you can definitely feel it, and the car is MUCH more responsive now. No more idle hangs between shifts, no more bogging at lower RPM. I should note that my car also has, as stated, a BBK CAI and 62mm TB, this intake now, BBK longtubes, offroad x pipe, and American Thunders from there back. Few other mods as well, but all of that together, has really changed the way this car breathes. This will keep me happy until next summer, while I decide whether to stay NA and build it up further, or to go FI!

All in all, this is a worthwhile part if you have the supporting mods for it. I don't know that it would be worth it with the rest of the intake being factory, and factory exhaust, or at least probably not nearly as noticeable. It took me roughly and hour and a half total to do, including runs down the street to Autozone for injector O-rings and a Vacuum line, and the couple of times I had to backtrack, like when I found the injector leaks. Far and away the hardest part was modifying the vacuum line on the driver's side. Not so much that it's actually difficult, as the fact that it is VERY easy to break, you have to heat it... too much heat, it will melt, it's ruined. Not enough, it will snap like glass, and it's ruined. You have to take about an inch and a half off of it. Like I said, also the passenger side, because of my BBK TB and CAI, I had to extend that vacuum line, making the factory one useless, they are solid and can't be stretched or bent, I had to go get just a cheap rubber hose.

Probably others have already posted experiences with this part, but I just wanted to get mine up with my mix of mods, and another point of view on it! Pics and a walkthrough to come later when I get the camera back!

Last edited by OhEightGT; 09-14-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I bet cams would be an excellent addition to this combo as well. I have yet to read anyone do the entire FRPP top end kit.. that would be interesting (and pricey! lulz)

Great job on the write up

Always interesting to read about and hear positive reviews about not so popular mods...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks for sharing, i found the report very interesting