Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!

I found a rockin deal on a Saleen supercharger for a 4.6L 3V engine.

Thing is it is only the supercharger, so what do I need to make this fit on my car? I know I need pulleys, belts, and fuel rails, but what else am I missing?

And any immediate things I should be warned about before I go buy it?

Here are the pics:

Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I'm not too experienced with superchargers so the only advice I can give is that you better be getting a darn good deal because there is a lot missing there. Also, do what you can to make sure that the compressor spins freely and smoothly.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

750 bucks seems like a good deal compared to the 5,700 they ask at stage 3 haha.

and thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Here's a thread where a guy was selling a used kit; might give you some idea of what else you'll need to find:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/powe...ooooooook.html
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your help BlackBetty!

So I'm looking at a pulley, belt, fuel injectors, intercooler, intercooler hose, pump, and bracket. Does that sound about right?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

call brenspeed as they specialize in saleen sales and service. They can tell you everything u will need.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Awesome, Thanks for the help guys! I picked it up and its a beauty! had a little grime but nothing I couldn't clean up. turns as super smooth also! I'm so excited
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Default Doing the same thing

Just saw your thread! I just purchased a used saleen series VI too. If you haven't already. grab the install PDF off the web, it has a complete parts listing including all the nuts and bolts you will need. Since you have an 07 you'll have to convert over to the 05-06 thermostat hose arrangement. My kit was mostly complete fortunately, however I paid quite a bit more than you. If you shop around you can find some of the stuff you'll need (ebay) the two most single expensive items are the heat exchanger and the water pump (not to mention tune/tuner). The rest of the stuff you can get from Brenspeed or any Speedlab dealer. The one unique part you will need is the alternator bracket and pulley. You will find there are a few choices in drive pulleys other than the stock 4.0" which uses stock injectors and air box (cheapest route) anything more than that will out tax the stock injectors and require at least 39#ers. You should also check the oil while you have it on the bench. You got the unit so cheap that after all is said and done you will still come out smelling like a rose. Good luck with the install, and have fun!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 AM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Thank you so much for your help! I would like to run a smaller pulley (my goal is about 8 lbs of boost) and I was going to change the injectors anyway just to be on the safe side. I'm definitely going to be looking up that install PDF because I'll be needing it anyway as plan on doing my own install.

Are you taking your's to a dyno shop to get it tuned or just running the tune from Saleen?

Thank you so much for the advice!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TylerT
Thank you so much for your help! I would like to run a smaller pulley (my goal is about 8 lbs of boost) and I was going to change the injectors anyway just to be on the safe side. I'm definitely going to be looking up that install PDF because I'll be needing it anyway as plan on doing my own install.

Are you taking your's to a dyno shop to get it tuned or just running the tune from Saleen?
Will be doing my own install as well, that's most of the fun!
I already have an SCT X3 tuner so I am going with either a Brenspeed or Bama custom mail order tune. It is commonly recommended to stay away from the Saleen tune. Brenspeed or JDM offer tuner packages that are considered the best custom tunes for Saleen SC'ers. I have the 39# injectors and the Saleen 98mm air box lid and air pipe already. Mine came with a Steeda 90mm CAI and 3.4 pulley, but I'm going to switch to a 3.6" pulley (safer with the stock fuel pump) and the Saleen 98mm MAF lid with my auto. CARB smog EO on my 2006 is only legal for the 435hp kit, you can run the 475 kit legally on your 07 IE: (3.8 pulley 39# injectors, 98mm air box and pipe). One item I just discovered missing from my kit is the heater transfer pipe, saleen calls a water tube, this is another item that you will need from Saleen, I guess the guy who sold it to me didn't want to take it off so he sent me the stock ford pipe, fooled me for awhile. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if it's available from Speedlab or authorized dealer. I'm afraid it won't be inexpensive. The critical items that you must have from Saleen are the Alternator bracket, water crossover manifold, and water tube. The alternator has to be mounted so the pulley is facing the rear, and the stock clutch pulley has to be changed out to spin the alternator. The rest of the stuff can be sourced or fabricated. The install instructions are available on Brenspeed's site or Saleen. At the risk of getting flamed by MF, there is a plethora of info and install threads available on the Saleen forums and Modular Fords as well as here. There is definitely some homework to be done and expenses to incur before it's over, but it will all be worth it the first time we fire em up. I thought I was ready to go until I took a second look at the water pipe! Oh well, barring any further complications maybe before Thanksgiving! BTW if you are near Fullerton you can check out 281 Motorsports, they are a Saleen dealer who has a guy who used to build them for Saleen when it was in Irvine.

PS: Hope you have an understanding wife like mine. Since we live @ 3,000' I told her the poor engine was starving for air and we should do the right thing and help feed it.

Quick Reply: Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!