Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new Ram Induction hood, car's running lean!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

Default new Ram Induction hood, car's running lean!!

I just got the TruFiber GTS-4 hood, it has functional ram scoops that dump over the CAI and now when I get above 40mph and let off the gas my car stalls out. obvious it's to much air in the engine and I'm running lean. I need suggestions to fix this... here are my ideas, let me know if they're along the right lines or if they're completely wrong. for now I have cardboard blocking the duct...

new tune that calls for more fuel - will I run rich when I'm off the throttle though?

Get a K&N Air filter and put it in the duct to restrict air flow into the CAI...

Get a Throttle Body to control the air intake (will this stop to much air from getting in the engine when I let off the gas though??)

cover the CAI... I have a steeda CAI

those were all the ideas - I'm really hoping that a Throttle body will help, but i honestly have no idea
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Really ned to data log to know for sure what is going on. You can add more fuel for the specific rpm/load you're lean at. Or at least a tuner with a wideband O2 can :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

explain the second part - what's tune with a wide band 02 can?? also I'm calling Bama, AmericanMuscle.com and the shop that did the work today! I'll let everyone know what comes of that tomorrow
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I had a 08 V6 that I put a shaker hood on and it did the same thing. It was not running lean that caused the problem. I had an aftermarket intake with a cone filter that I was dumping the ram air onto. The turbulence caused the MAF sensor to be irradic. I put a deflector around the the cone where the ram air hit it and it cured the problem. May not be what you have going on...but it could be.
Jim
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Let us know when/how you fix the problem. Hopefully I don't run into this, just installed a Kenne Bell Stage-2 Supercharger and Intercooler, but it comes with a competition cone filter that moves the air intake down near the front bumper/fender for much more efficient cooling and intake. I am installing a Super Snake hood as soon as the paint work is done, but that should only help to cool the engine overall, and not mess with the MAF (it is being precisely tuned anyway at the Dyno performance shop). Best of luck to you. PS:Are Maybe the ram air hood doesnt have the functional kit to direct and force air only to the intake?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

With the throttle off the engine gets NO fuel. So it can't be running lean as lean is a condition of too little fuel and off throttle is NO fuel. I know sound wrong but it is an emissions thing. Seems like the engine would stop running but somehow it doesn't normally. It is turbulence from the air's erratic behavior around the filter.

Last edited by 908ssp; 09-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

the more people I talk to, the more it sounds like a MAF sensor issue because of all the air being forced onto the intake moving the system around and driving my MAFS nuts. so now the question is what should I do to remedy that? can I get a MAFS that will coop better with the turbliance? I really hate the idea of dumping close to $1500 into this hood and losing it's funcaionality!!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I don't know what your air intake setup looks like, but I am guessing that you are really just providing fresh cooler outside air to the filter. It would be hard to beleive that you are actually developing positive pressure. All you need to do is make a deflector of somekind so that the air is not blowing on the filter such that is causes turbulence. The fresh air is good...just not blowing on it.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

Jwharton - that sounds like a good idea. I just got off the phone with Bama and the guy suggested I plug up that duct, but deflecting to maintain the cooler air flow does sound like a smart idea. tonight when I get home I'll get some pictures and see if i can't post them on this thread! any ideas for deflecting the air? I'm thinking a piece of sheet metal at the duct that pushes it to the side, so it doesn't dump right onto the CAI... picks in about 6 hours
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I took aabout a 4"X6" peice of flexible plastic and wrapped/fastened it to the cone filter right in front of where the duct blew on the cone filter. I did not restrict the duct at all...I just stopped it from blowing directly on the cone filter.

Quick Reply: new Ram Induction hood, car's running lean!!