Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help identify noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 AM
PanderAlexander

Default Help identify noise

Hey guys, I picked up a 2006 Mustang GT with 60k miles on it, the first week it drove with no problems, then the second week I got this weird ticking noise. It only makes the noise when I leave my car parked outside work for a couple hours and start it when I get out at night. When I leave it parked over-night in my garage it does not make the noise on startup in the morning and it never makes it either when warmed up, here is a video/sound of it:

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 AM
PanderAlexander

Here is a youtube video if you can't access the video above:

http://youtu.be/3diiq1MDmTc
Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 AM
JAlvarez

Originally Posted by PanderAlexander
Here is a youtube video if you can't access the video above:

http://youtu.be/3diiq1MDmTc
possibilities : 1-Exhaust 2-Piston Skirt 3-Valve ....but couldn't really tell where it was coming from cause your video kept moving around..i will continue to listen to it. where is the knocking sound at the loudest?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 AM
JAlvarez

A cold knock is usually caused by piston to cylinder wall excessive clearance. sometime on a quick rebuild .even with spread the piston skirt. you will get a knock. a low down in the engine heavy knock is main bearings. a fast knock is the rods bearing our a cracked piston. a tapping upper noise is valve lifts in a hydraulic lifter engine. in a solid lifter engine you can adjust the noise out. some time you will have change the rocker arms our resurface. a bearing knock get louder with temperature. pistons expand with temperature quieting the noise you need any experienced mechanic to tell you what is wrong, in person.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
PanderAlexander

Thanks for the reply guys,

Originally Posted by JAlvarez
possibilities : 1-Exhaust 2-Piston Skirt 3-Valve ....but couldn't really tell where it was coming from cause your video kept moving around..i will continue to listen to it. where is the knocking sound at the loudest?
The sound comes from the driver side, under-to-behind the engine. Thanks for listening and trying to figure it out.

Originally Posted by JAlvarez
A cold knock is usually caused by piston to cylinder wall excessive clearance. sometime on a quick rebuild .even with spread the piston skirt. you will get a knock. a low down in the engine heavy knock is main bearings. a fast knock is the rods bearing our a cracked piston. a tapping upper noise is valve lifts in a hydraulic lifter engine. in a solid lifter engine you can adjust the noise out. some time you will have change the rocker arms our resurface. a bearing knock get louder with temperature. pistons expand with temperature quieting the noise you need any experienced mechanic to tell you what is wrong, in person.
I just started the car this morning at 7am and there was not even the slightest noise, everything sounded normal and even though it was parked in my garage overnight it was definitely colder than when I get out of work at 8pm. The weird thing is the noise only arises after I drive to work and leave it sitting for a couple hours there, it's been doing that the past couple days. The mechanic says everything sounds normal, but it doesn't make the noise when he's there.

I don't know if it's related, but this week, it also started having erratic idle only when I first start the car after sitting overnight, then goes away after a few minutes of driving. For that problem I did a search of the forums and will be cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensors as suggested.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

These 4.6L's are noisey. There's even a TSB for injector clicking.

You're on the right track regarding the erratic idle. I'd even run a tank or 2 of a good fuel system cleaner or SeaFoam mix. If those don't work, change gas stations before tossing $$ at it.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 AM
PanderAlexander

Okay, found out the noise you hear in the video goes away when I press the clutch pedal in. Throwout bearing? Clutch? Should I be worried about a tranny issue soon? Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

ok soooooooo i know this is old but ive been looking everywhere for this same noise in our 07..... i know what the ticking is from the injectors. if i see another post about injector tick im gonna flip out because if you ....search... ticking or knocking, the injector topic comes up a million times. ok soo that being said... anybody know if OP found his problem? anybody have the EXACT noise he had/has?? we have same noise and one start-up its there and the next, it is not there. no pattern as to when it occurs. only time i really notice it is at drive up windows and ive only heard it twice in the last 1000 miles. any help would be GREATLY appreciated as it is my girlfriends car and she is pretty worried about it. i just keep an eye on it because there is no sense in taking it in to have a shop stare at it for hours thinking we are insane....
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

88k miles and 5spd.....
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I can't tell how loud the OP's noise is, but I've had a rythmic ticking coming from under the motor since new. The op's noise sounds sporadic though.

I only noticed mine when under the car doing my 1st or 2nd oil change and it's very faint and has never gotten any louder, so i dismissed it as nothing. I'm not sure if it's there when hot or not.

Quick Reply: Help identify noise