Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot Rod Cams VS 4.10 Gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would do cams. Good power gains but more importantly is the new very strong pull all the was through. Also the ability to safely run a 6700 RPM redline. I've driven a hot rod cam GT and I plan to do it next summer. feels so much better!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. I suggest doing economy delete plates along with the cam swap, for an extra kick. It's a cheap, easy to install mod that opens up some throttle response and power
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

I'd definitely go for the gears before the cams. I did my gears first after my CAI and Bama tune, it was the single biggest gain so far. I've done pretty well everything you can as far as bolt ons, including cams, longtubes, intake manifold, tb, etc. and it all adds up, but as far as single, biggest "kick in the pants" gain, the gears were it. Cams can cause drivability concerns for some people without the 4.10s or so they say, I'd just start there if it were me (and I did )

Last edited by OhEightGT; 11-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

How did you like the FRPP intake manifold and cm delete along with your cams and BBK TB?

Pretty noticeable difference I'd bet..
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Instead of a FRPP manifold, look in to the aluminum C&L manifold. It comes with longer runners and deletes the charge motion plates and you don't need to buy blanks or Steeda CMDP's. Aluminum > plastic.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The FRPP intake manifold deletes the charge motion plates also.. the C&L weighs 30 lbs., pretty hefty if you ask me. My V3 H.O. kit put about 100lbs. of dead weight on the front of my car and I could definitely feel the difference when I took it off this winter...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How did you like the FRPP intake manifold and cm delete along with your cams and BBK TB?

Pretty noticeable difference I'd bet..
I really love it! They go very well together. The car breathes amazingly and is probably the fastest revving n/a car I have ever had. I looked long and hard into the differences between it and the C&L. The gains and flow seem to be just as good if not a little better on the FRPP, it cost less (at the time I bought at least), weighs less, and where the aluminum is a heat sink and pulls heat from the block, getting extremely warm/hot, the plastic actually stays cool/cold to the touch regardless of engine temperature or how hard the car is driven, keeping the air cooler as well I am sure. I don't know how much of a difference that makes if any, but I am happy with the FRPP intake/CM delete and wouldn't exchange it for the C&L. Not to say that anything is wrong with the C&L, but I'm just honestly 150% happy with the FRPP.

For the OP, honestly I wouldn't bother with cams unless the entire intake/exhaust system is already or will be upgraded to match. I'm sure cams alone make a difference, but combined with the CAI, TB, longtubes, intake manifold/CM delete, they really made a difference.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

whats it cost to put in a hotrod cam +3k stall. including parts?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
I really love it! They go very well together. The car breathes amazingly and is probably the fastest revving n/a car I have ever had. I looked long and hard into the differences between it and the C&L. The gains and flow seem to be just as good if not a little better on the FRPP, it cost less (at the time I bought at least), weighs less, and where the aluminum is a heat sink and pulls heat from the block, getting extremely warm/hot, the plastic actually stays cool/cold to the touch regardless of engine temperature or how hard the car is driven, keeping the air cooler as well I am sure. I don't know how much of a difference that makes if any, but I am happy with the FRPP intake/CM delete and wouldn't exchange it for the C&L. Not to say that anything is wrong with the C&L, but I'm just honestly 150% happy with the FRPP.

For the OP, honestly I wouldn't bother with cams unless the entire intake/exhaust system is already or will be upgraded to match. I'm sure cams alone make a difference, but combined with the CAI, TB, longtubes, intake manifold/CM delete, they really made a difference.
Sounds like it's a great combo for people wanting to stay NA. I am surprised more people aren't going this route, as well as getting heads. I know it's only 350whp, but that's still about 100 more whp than stock!

Originally Posted by kevilay
whats it cost to put in a hotrod cam +3k stall. including parts?
about half of the price of a supercharger kit.. I say, save for the supercharger kit
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

It really is. Though after feeling the difference and gains from all of that, the bug to go FI actually got worse and I want to supercharge it next summer.... lol. It all started with a CAI and tune, and a promise to go no further, and it's really just a bottomless pit, right?

Friend of mine had his cams installed for $650 (labor only, his cams were like $759 alone, and if you need phase limiters that's another 200 dollars). Parts though, depends. They are all around $730-750 dollars for parts alone for the NSR line of cams. Converters can be anywhere from $350-790 or so for parts alone. Depends where you shop, what you get and want. I don't have an automatic so I just quickly glanced on the prices for converters. So you're looking at probably around/a bit over $2,000 if you go on the cheap side a little with labor included. Hard to say, could be more or less, some shops charge a lot more, some charge a lot less. I'd do it yourself and save on labor. The tasks seem daunting but they are really not hard if you take it slow and get really acquainted with google. That is also excluding a tuner. If you don't have a tuner, you will absolutely HAVE to have one or have the car tuned, and that's another several hundred. Like stealth gt said, I'd save for the supercharger. Honestly in hindsight I wish I did.You won't feel really any major gains from cams alone, at all. They do make a difference but until you throw longtubes, a intake manifold, a bigger throttle body, CAI, etc. in with it, the gains are really not worth the money in most people's opinions as they are so small. By the time you get all the supporting mods to make cams worth it, you're well over the price of just putting a nice supercharger on it.

I love my cams and I love driving my car this way, but honestly for the money, it's really a bad way to go if you just want power per dollar.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cams VS 4.10 Gears