Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2008 Mustang V8 starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Smoke2008

Default 2008 Mustang V8 starting Issues

I having a issue with the starting the Mustang, It's stock no mods, 4.6L eng ...I have never had any problems...it has 38K miles and right now it is at the dearlership.....it has been there going on 4 days. The starting issue I'am having..
at times the Mustang will start right up....and other times I will have to turn the key 4 or more time trying to start it....It almost acts like it not getting fuel at times....This issue with starting the Mustang started this past summer and I just I tired of it and the car is at the dealership......There are no check engine codes I thinking that the dealership will return the Mustang to me on Friday......not having the problem fixed.....It has acted up just once at the dealership.....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Without more details, I can make a few suggestions. I'd pull the plugs to check for fouling, check the injectors, replace the fuel filter, clean the TB and run one or two tanks with SeaFoam mix. It sounds like either fuel or ignition.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Smoke2008

I'am thinking it's fuel related.....fuel pump.....I have a extended warranty so I have the dealership do the work.......The mustang is a very well kept.....4.6L/5 speed it has never given me problems.....avg 18 / 22 mpg ....
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

OK, a couple questions:
1) when you say 'it wont start', what do you mean? Does it crank and just not fire? Does it click and not crank? Does it try to sputter a little but die? More details will help.
2) Turn the key to on but dont try to start. Listen for the fuel pump priming, you'll hear it for a couple seconds while it builds pressure, then it will stop. That tells you your fuel pump is getting power. This works only when the car has sat for hours and any prior pressure has subsided.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Need trouble code info.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Smoke2008

Well I got the Mustang back from the dealership on friday.....There was nothing that could be replaced on the Mustang that they could charge Ford Motor co. for. The fuel system checked out O.K....fuel pump holding pressure and NO Codes at anytime. The Mustange would only act up just one time in the 4 days at the dealership....When acting up....not starting....It would act like it was not getting fuel to start.....but after 4 or 5 tries.....it would start. This all started this past summer... either 1st thing in the morning or any other time of the day.....So at this time we will drive the Mustang and keep tract of the starting issues if they occuor again and then get the dealership who will work with Ford to resolve this. The dealership did state that the Mass Air Flow sensor was cleaned....a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor will not let the car start....Everything cost nothing for service ....just $120.00 in car rental fees........I will keep everyone posted on my starting issues with the Mustang....
Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You could unplug the MAF and it will start. It's not a dirty MAF.

I would look in the throttle body and see how dirty it is. If there is build up around the throttle body it can prevent enough air from getting in there. I have never had the problem, but alot of guys have.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

what kinda temps are you in? i know its a long shot but very high or very low temps may be effecting the battery cold cranking amps.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Smoke2008

I would have thought the dealership would have checked the throttle body....But I will do that after this posting.....battery is new replaced this past July....dealership put a motorcraft....battery ...warranty. Tempeture....the won't start has happend Hot/Warm/Cold.....Just this aftenoon went out to start the Mustang....cranked to about 8 seconds....let key go ...cranked it again....Mustang started real quick. Will keep yall informed...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like an intermittent problem with the fuel pump engaging. Just because the psi is good while the pump is engaged doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the pump engaging. If it was me i'd listen for the pump to prime every time before cranking...it'll help narrow down the issue. I'm betting on one of those times when it wouldn't have started you won't hear it prime. If this turns out to be the case it could still be the pump or a faulty sensor/relay...leaning towards the later. I'd look at the fuel pump relay or module.

I've been drinking also so take advice with a grain of salt heh..

Quick Reply: 2008 Mustang V8 starting Issues