Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Better sounding set up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
BlackWidowStang

Default Better sounding set up?

Flowmaster American Thunder 40 series axle back exhaust
BBK catted shorty x pipe
BBK LT's

OR

Flowmaster American Thunder 40 series axle back exhaust
JBA catted shorty h pipe
JBA LT's

A lot of forum goers on different sites have been saying that the American Thunder exhaust will sound crappy with a x pipe but sound great with an h pipe.

Just trying to get opinions here as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree that flowmasters sound like Sh*t with an x pipe. I had flows with a offroad x pipe on my car for about an hour and couldn't stand the sound. If your really sold on flows, definitely go with an offroad H. The x pipe was overly loud and raspy and had a popping sound whenever the rpms were coming down. I've tried a lot of exhaust setups. If you want something loud and cheap i recommend SLP loudmouths. A couple hundred dollers and your car will sound like its meant for nascar. Not a real deep sound which most users that hate on SLP for, but it def puts out the decipals. After slp, flows, magnaflow, and finally borla, I found a happy home with Mac (which is who my installer told me to go with orignially; Im hard headed). Now im running Mac shortie headers, a mac catted prochamber midpipe, and mac mufflers. Its basically legal, and its one of the best sounding mustangs around. Deep and loud at wide open throttle but deep and mild for cruising. Hope this helps and have fun/be safe.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I second the h-pipe. There are those that run the x-pipe, and while I haven't heard it in person, I think it sounds decent from videos. However, I've always been a fan of h-pipes on any American V8.

When I was looking at 06 Goats, I wanted Spintech, but had the hardest time figuring out why I hated some but loved others. It's all in the mid-pipe, and I so happen to like h-pipes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Gotta be a h pipe dude. You don't want that hidious raspy tone.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
2008 GT4ME

H-pipe for sure!

I have the full JBA exhaust and it sounds great. Just like a muscle car should sound. Loud and deep!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Definitely h pipe no question!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I personally prefer the smoother deeper tone of the Bassani race exhaust, or the magnaflow magnapack like I got. With catless H. Loud as hell. deep as hell with stock mani's
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

My thoughts on Flowmaster?

Sure if you want to...
sound
a
million
other
mustangs

Either set up will sound ok on the outside and drone to no end on the inside. But both like I said, will sound exactly like every other S197 Mustang on the road.

I second Bassani sounding far better than the cookie cutter, general issue mustang with flowmasters. Not so sure about H pipe with them but catted x sounds sexy. Smaller company, superior quality compared to flowmaster, and the sound will set you apart from the crowd.

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I say go with secret option C, anything but Flowmasters... I agree with Ricardo.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
BrockGrimes

I agree skip the flows, get a bassani or corsa setup, maybe a frpp fr500.
My corsa axle back sounds a little louder than stock when cruising around but sounds like a freaking race car when I get on it. No drone when driving which will drive you crazy if you've never had it before. I picked up mine of CL new for $300 so the deals are out there and american muscle has good deals on bassani & frpp setups.

Quick Reply: Better sounding set up?