Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Now my car won't start. Lovely.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

Go out and unplug the maf and try cranking it. Don't touch anything else, just try to start it.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Sounds like it's getting flooded.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
jrd761

Originally Posted by Fuel
Go out and unplug the maf and try cranking it. Don't touch anything else, just try to start it.
I'm going to have to try that after I get some new plugs. Called and talked to Brenspeed, they basically said that there's something causing the car to run rich (and it's not their tune), and that it possibly ruined my spark plugs. I pulled out the plugs and they did look pretty bad (They're Autolite HT0, I just replaced them around 5,000 miles ago and they are pretty black). Of course they're special order, so it's gonna be a day or two.

Their tech also said that as long as I'm running the same sized pulley (which I am, I pulled the pulley off the old Vortech and put it on the new one so it is the exact same pulley), there shouldn't be any difference between the two superchargers (motor-running & tune wise). He said that it should run just fine without a re-tune, and that it's more than likely something else causing it to run rich.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrd761
The only thing I unplugged was the mass air flow sensor.. which is plugged back in. There is a sensor on the side of the block that is right in the middle of the bracket that supports the supercharger (I'm not sure what it is), but I didn't unplug it or mess with it.
Go through the process of installing the supercharger, reading the instructions and check each connection.

I remember when I put my Kenne Bell on I couldn't get the car to idle after i adjusted the fuel rails. Then i checked everything and saw the TPS was not plugged in. Find each connector and tug and puch on it to make sure it seated and positioned properly.

I'm going to have to try that after I get some new plugs. Called and talked to Brenspeed, they basically said that there's something causing the car to run rich (and it's not their tune), and that it possibly ruined my spark plugs. I pulled out the plugs and they did look pretty bad (They're Autolite HT0, I just replaced them around 5,000 miles ago and they are pretty black). Of course they're special order, so it's gonna be a day or two.

Their tech also said that as long as I'm running the same sized pulley (which I am, I pulled the pulley off the old Vortech and put it on the new one so it is the exact same pulley), there shouldn't be any difference between the two superchargers (motor-running & tune wise). He said that it should run just fine without a re-tune, and that it's more than likely something else causing it to run rich.
I would try cleaning your plugs with a wire brush and reinstalling. I would not drive the car like that, but I would not put a brand set of plugs in a car if I knew it was running like crap. After you eliminate everything else as the cause, time for plugs.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Did you check your entire fuse panel and see if all the fuses were good?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I don't know anything about about blowers but I do have a suggestion. Might fix it, might not but it only takes 10 minutes and it wouldn't hurt to do anyway. Clean the throttle body. After I had my cams and longtubes installed, my car wouldnt stay running. You had to keep it revved up to the moon to stay running. I flooded it a few times because you had to part throttle just to start it. Within a day it went from not running to just cranking and not starting like you describe. So what I ended up doing was letting it set for the day while I went to work and when I came home i took off the TB and cleaned it. Stuck it back on and voila! It was pretty nasty btw. Not sure why it ran perfect before the mods. Long story short, if your grasping at things to try, this wouldnt be a bad place to start. Cant hurt.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
jrd761

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
I don't know anything about about blowers but I do have a suggestion. Might fix it, might not but it only takes 10 minutes and it wouldn't hurt to do anyway. Clean the throttle body. After I had my cams and longtubes installed, my car wouldnt stay running. You had to keep it revved up to the moon to stay running. I flooded it a few times because you had to part throttle just to start it. Within a day it went from not running to just cranking and not starting like you describe. So what I ended up doing was letting it set for the day while I went to work and when I came home i took off the TB and cleaned it. Stuck it back on and voila! It was pretty nasty btw. Not sure why it ran perfect before the mods. Long story short, if your grasping at things to try, this wouldnt be a bad place to start. Cant hurt.
I'll try it.. I just cleaned it about a month or so ago, but can't hurt to try it again.

-----

UPDATE:
Installed the plugs after I cleaned them and let the motor air out for 24 hours. Still wouldn't start.

Disconnected the Mass Air Flow Sensor and it started. Ran.. Idled.. Did a lot better than it has been doing. It wasn't running right, but it ran.

Plugged in the Mass Air Flow Sensor while it was running, and it died immediately.

Last edited by jrd761; 01-25-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
jrd761

I checked the MAF Voltage using my SCT tuner while the key was on but the engine was off, and it shows 6.98v. 0.00v when it is unplugged.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Disconnected the Mass Air Flow Sensor and it started. Ran.. Idled.. Did a lot better than it has been doing. It wasn't running right, but it ran.

Plugged in the Mass Air Flow Sensor while it was running, and it died immediately.
Makes me think possible vacuum leak.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
jrd761

Went down to the auto parts store and got a new mass air flow sensor.
Plugged it in and the MAP_V showed 0.00v when the car was off.

Started the engine, and it started. Seems to be running.... Feels like it's possibly misfiring. Quite shakey.. Idle fluctuates between 500-750rpm. If you give it gas, the motor speeds up.. when you let off, it falls down to the point of almost dying then picks back up to 500-750rpm.

The MAP_V shows 198.0-200.0v while the engine is running.. Not sure what's up with that.

Quick Reply: Now my car won't start. Lovely.