Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I need a bit of help identifying this exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Default I need a bit of help identifying this exhaust

Maybe that wasn't worded correctly. I am more interested in what aspect of this exhaust(headers,pipe,muffler) gives this exhaust the mean "sucking in" sound between shifts. That is a goal for how I want my Mustang to sound. I'm sure some of you gurus know exactly what causes this. skip to about 0:25 to hear what I'm talking about. Thanks for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C5b...layer_embedded
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

My guess is longtubes and an O/R pipe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this "sucking" sound is just the engine reving down while the clutch is in. Longtubes and an O/R pipe will make it sound nasty like that when the engine revs down.

EDIT: Damn I'm good. If you look at his other videos one of his comments is he is running Hooker LT's + O/R X.

Get some longtubes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
My guess is longtubes and an O/R pipe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this "sucking" sound is just the engine reving down while the clutch is in. Longtubes and an O/R pipe will make it sound nasty like that when the engine revs down.

EDIT: Damn I'm good. If you look at his other videos one of his comments is he is running Hooker LT's + O/R X.

Get some longtubes
I may have to do that! I may be able to do the install myself. Are you still watching bleach?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
I may have to do that! I may be able to do the install myself. Are you still watching bleach?
The install is, well, fun. If you end up doing it feel free to shoot me any Q's you have during the install.

It may be hard to swallow at first, but I highly recommended the ARH. You pay for what you get, end of story. Also, your decision to get headers should depends on your future goals for the car as well.

I stopped watching the Anime after the Aizen arc ended, because I heard it was filler. I've since learned they went back to the main story, so I'll have to catch up.

I'm like 3 months behind on the Manga, so I need to catch up there as well.

EDIT: Just saw you have a Vortech sitting on the floor. Longtubes and Boost FTW!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

The install is, well, fun. If you end up doing it feel free to shoot me any Q's you have during the install.

It may be hard to swallow at first, but I highly recommended the ARH. You pay for what you get, end of story. Also, your decision to get headers should depends on your future goals for the car as well.

I stopped watching the Anime after the Aizen arc ended, because I heard it was filler. I've since learned they went back to the main story, so I'll have to catch up.

I'm like 3 months behind on the Manga, so I need to catch up there as well.

EDIT: Just saw you have a Vortech sitting on the floor. Longtubes and Boost FTW!
ARH = American Racing Headers? I am on a bit of a budget right now, and for the forseeable future as well(med school).

my girlfriend's dad is a car guru so I'm going to ask him if he could do an install like that. I'm pretty sure he can, because he builds engines/restores cars as a hobby.

I wasn't sure if this current part was an arc or not but I was really hoping it wasn't, because he's about to get his abilities back. No powers makes for a boring Bleach episode.

edit: sadly, I ran out of money and had to sell it a while back I just haven't been on here in a while and I haven't updated my sig.

Last edited by Roush05; 01-25-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

ARH = American Racing Headers? I am on a bit of a budget right now, and for the forseeable future as well(med school).
Correct. They are a bit expensive, but the quality is top notch and they fit like a glove.

my girlfriend's dad is a car guru so I'm going to ask him if he could do an install like that. I'm pretty sure he can, because he builds engines/restores cars as a hobby.
It's not too mechanically difficult as an install. My buddy owns a gas station so I used the 2 post lift, and with the help of one of the guys there we did it in 8 hours while farting around. Only "tricky" parts are removing the steering shaft and dropping the starter.
No big deal

I wasn't sure if this current part was an arc or not but I was really hoping it wasn't, because he's about to get his abilities back. No powers makes for a boring Bleach episode.
Yea it got kinda boring. I'm honestly surprised it's still going at this point.

Just saw your edit. Thats sad. Honestly, just save up for FI again, don't fart around with the bolt-ons unless you want to spend more $$ for an N/A car that isn't faster.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Correct. They are a bit expensive, but the quality is top notch and they fit like a glove.

It's not too mechanically difficult as an install. My buddy owns a gas station so I used the 2 post lift, and with the help of one of the guys there we did it in 8 hours while farting around. Only "tricky" parts are removing the steering shaft and dropping the starter.
No big deal

Yea it got kinda boring. I'm honestly surprised it's still going at this point.

Just saw your edit. Thats sad. Honestly, just save up for FI again, don't fart around with the bolt-ons unless you want to spend more $$ for an N/A car that isn't faster.
I'm 20 and about to undertake $150k of debt. Once I graduate and pay that off, I'll probably buy a new mustang or something and supercharge it. This car is going to be my DD until then, and I won't be able to save up enough to supercharge it while in school. The next best thing is one or two small cheaper things.

I may not be able to afford headers and all right now either for that matter. I just have an extra few hundred dollars from selling a laptop and i thought I could put it into my car. :P
Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

If you have money to burn, do cam's dude.

Cheaper cost up front, and you will learn a BUNCH if you install them yourself.

The install is again, easy, just time consuming.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I do love the sound of a cam. I was researching them a while back but I've pretty much forgotten which ones I was looking at. Which ones should I look at do you think?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

BAMA can tune really well for the hot-rods, and you can usually find them at a good price. They will make the most noise.

If you want the most power, I would look at a stage 1 or 2 Comp NSR cam.

The choice is yours! Even though the hot-rods wont give you the most umph, it will be masked by the 4.10's you have anyway.

Quick Reply: I need a bit of help identifying this exhaust