Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone have turbo experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Mathusula2

Default Anyone have turbo experience?

Hey guys,

I will be getting forced induction soon on my 2010 GT, and was set on the edelbrock eforce with a brenspeed tune stage 1 (~560hp). Recently, someone suggested that I check out the idea of turbos...

I've stumbled upon this twin turbo system, and was wondering if anyone has any feedback about this (or twin turbos vs. roots supercharging, in general). Anyone driven a twin-turbo mustang? Have you experienced any dreaded turbo lag? Does it plant you in the seat like the roots would?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Mike

Last edited by Mathusula2; 02-27-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

There are a couple of members here who had nothing but trouble with remote mounted turbos. I'm sure they will chime in. I've helped to install a Hellion turbo system and it performed flawlessly from the first turn of the key.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

One thing to consider with a turbo mustang is shops in the area that are willing to tune it. I also would not go with the STS remote mount unless I upgraded the oil pump. I hear that is the weak link in the kit.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

I would not go with a remote mount turbo kit. There are single turbo kits out there for great prices that will perform much better than a remote mount kit. Not to mention the tq from a turbo is awesome!!!

Check out this kit. Comes with basically everything but the tune. Quality parts here that is for sure and comes with a comp billet wheel turbo as the standard turbo.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76948
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Mathusula2

Question

That kit does sound nice... with only a single turbo should I be concerned about turbo lag? I have a GREAT tuner locally (Bob Kennedy); I don't know if a tune would minimize lag though I'm guessing it would.

I will refer to more experienced folks out there... is turbo lag still an issue with a single turbo as long a you have a good tune?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

A rear mount kit is really the only turbo setup that will have lag. Turbo lag is basically non existant with the new turbo technology out there with a kit like the one I posted. The kit that I posted comes with a billet wheel turbo which should have basically no lag. The billet wheels are much lighter than the cast wheels of the cheaper turbos. This will make it move more air and spool incredibly fast. The tune isn't going to due near as much in the way of lag like a decent turbo will.

Cliffs Notes
You won't have to worry about lag with the kit. Lag is a thing of the past with a properly set up system

Last edited by Fuel; 02-28-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Do NOT support STS!!! I tried the twin turbo setup on my car. Tech support is horrible. Warranty is a joke, and it was absolutely not reliable for daily driving. The oil return pump failed under normal driving conditions in a predictable way. My car sat on jackstands for the better part of three months while STS tech support tried to figure out the problem. Everything was installed correctly and they refused to simply replace the oil return pump, still under warranty. They rebuilt it once, but hat did not solve the problem. I spent a lot of $$ on the kit and STS continually asked me to spend more to blindly diagnose the problem. Eventually they came to the conclusion that "something must be wrong with your car" and stopped returning my phone calls and emails. Off came the turbos and the car has been running flawlessly ever since.

On the plus side, when the kit was working, it made the car scary fast. Anyone who tells you that lag will be a problem with a remote mount turbo has obviously never driven one. All turbos have lag, but properlly sized, that lagged can be reduced dramatically. STS did do there homework in that department.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mathusula2
That kit does sound nice... with only a single turbo should I be concerned about turbo lag? I have a GREAT tuner locally (Bob Kennedy); I don't know if a tune would minimize lag though I'm guessing it would.

I will refer to more experienced folks out there... is turbo lag still an issue with a single turbo as long a you have a good tune?
If you have a properly sized turbo then lag will not be an issue. The problem comes when you run a turbo that is way too big.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you just want to go turbo then get the kit that was linked http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76948 . If you want to go twin turbo then get this kit. http://www.turbohorsepower.com/200506mustang2.html http://www.turbohorsepower.com/20050...omponents.html Talk to Jim Napier, he will fix you up. What ever you do stay far far away from the STS turbo kits.

Earl Rumans
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

If you have a properly sized turbo then lag will not be an issue. The problem comes when you run a turbo that is way too big.

I have had two turbos on the S197. First a 67mm and then upgraded to a 76mm. Sized properly for the application, there is no functional lag (none that you would notice). For street use the 67 exhibited no perceptable lag. As car was being used and built more and more for dragracing, we upgraded to a 76. Car had minimal street use and I did notice some lag compared to the 67. At the dragstrip, any possibility of lag was eliminated with the correct build. Unless you are going for 6-700+ rear wheel for a race application stay in the 60-67mm range.

Quick Reply: Anyone have turbo experience?