Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
JakeO

Default Axle back exhaust

I put a new axle back exhaust setup on my 08 mustang gt today. My question to you guys just to see if anybody else has done it is....did yall notice the little nipple on the mid pipe where the cat back clamps it was making my exhaust tip stick way out due to the fact the new mufflers didn't have a slot for the little rivet. So I busted out the ole grinder and ground them off to let the exhaust tip set in a lil further and it looks way better (to me anyways). So any of you fellas done this to?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've noticed it...it almost appears the pype bombs have the slots for them, but you'd have to angle them something fierce to get it lined up. Never thought of grinding it down, that's a smart idea.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

So that's the reason why I see people with the pype bombs have their tips stick out so far from the bumper...

I love the sound of those, and I wanted to get them. If that nipple is all it is I am sold as soon as I get my GT/CS rear bumper painted and put on.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justice
So that's the reason why I see people with the pype bombs have their tips stick out so far from the bumper...

I love the sound of those, and I wanted to get them. If that nipple is all it is I am sold as soon as I get my GT/CS rear bumper painted and put on.
Mine really don't stick out all too far. You can get them up against the nipple and they look pretty good, I have it so the Pypes lettering is just barely sticking out on the top of the piping.

One word of advice, if you feel like it, buy some better clamps. One is fine, but the other one keeps lowering by about 1/2 an inch and I readjust it every so often. No one else notices it and calls me crazy but I do Otherwise I love them, they're a fantastic axle back!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
JakeO

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars

One word of advice, if you feel like it, buy some better clamps. One is fine, but the other one keeps lowering by about 1/2 an inch and I readjust it every so often. No one else notices it and calls me crazy but I do
I just used the stock clamps on mine. They are just held on by a little tac weld to the old exhaust pipe. Mac decided not to send me the clamps with my axle backs.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:21 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I found the best clamps other than the stock ones are the old school U style clamps. The worst, by far the ones that come with flowmasters. Just throw em away..........horrible garbage.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I found the best clamps other than the stock ones are the old school U style clamps. The worst, by far the ones that come with flowmasters. Just throw em away..........horrible garbage.
U style for sure. Tried to use FM clamps
Just toss them in the trash.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I agree 100%! The included flowmaster clamps are complete garbage, I ordered Pypes clamp kits from LMR after swearing at the included flowmaster "clamps".

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ust-Clamp-Pair
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Silvernotgrey

I had good luck with the FM clamps, but my axle back 40s don't line up at all. What do I do?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Adjustments are easily made by loosening the midpipe and axleback clamps and then sliding and twisting, both for centering in the cutout and for length. I know of very few instances where grinding has been absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: Axle back exhaust