Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Belt slipping on Whipple (12 psi)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Whippled06

Default Belt slipping on Whipple (12 psi)

We recently installed a steeda belt tensioner, and finally took the car to get it tuned and dynod at a local shop however on the way there i noticed the boost gauge was reading 8-9 psi at the highest points. Sure enough, the belt kept slipping on the dyno and couldnt get accurate numbers. Im sure the problem isnt caused by the tensioner, I'm just trying to find a cheaper solution than the belt conversion kits. It read 12 psi just as it should have for a couple months and now the belt continues to slip and squeaks loudly wot. Appreciate any opinions!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

How old is the belt?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

In order to get the proper tension on my belt. I have to hold the tensioner tight using a breaker bar, then use a piece of wood and rubber mallet to move the whipple sliding tensioner pulley down far enough. I loosely tighten that 3/4 inch bolt on the whipple tensioner, tight enough so it will not move on it's own, but not so tight that I can't force it down using a 1x2 and hammer.

It's easier to do with two people, but I can do it by myself using my inner thigh to keep pressure on the breaker bar and stock tensioner. If you are having a hard time picturing this, it's because I'm standing on the radiator support.

Look at the whipple install instructions. There's a picture of the tensioner and where it needs to sit to prevent belt slippage.

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/...ls/whipple.pdf

Last edited by moosestang; 04-01-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Here is what you need a Frankentensioner. The spacers are available from DOB. Much cheaper than those custom units that don't work.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

When you say "steeda belt tensioner", are you referring to their tensioner or their dedicated belt drive?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Whippled06

Tensioner
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My first advice would be the same as moose. Tighten up that sliding tensioner as much as humanly possible. If that doesn't cure it, I'd recommend the Thump_rrr tensioner. I don't know of anyone that hasn't been successful with the thump_rrr.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
My first advice would be the same as moose. Tighten up that sliding tensioner as much as humanly possible. If that doesn't cure it, I'd recommend the Thump_rrr tensioner. I don't know of anyone that hasn't been successful with the thump_rrr.
+1
i have a thumprrr and it works great.
i also have the 8 rib kit and that works great too.
for most the tensioner is enough until you get to higher boost.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
blown88coupe

I hear everyone talking about the thumb tensioner, so i checked it out. Called them and they told me flat out that is a STOCK tensoner spring in there billet housing.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blown88coupe
I hear everyone talking about the thumb tensioner, so i checked it out. Called them and they told me flat out that is a STOCK tensoner spring in there billet housing.
Whatever, but the thump racing one works. Can't argue with the track record. 11psi everytime.

Quick Reply: Belt slipping on Whipple (12 psi)