Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

This is driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM
04DSGB
2nd Gear Member

Default This is driving me nuts!

My 06 GT is driving me nuts lately. I have recently replaced the belt tensioner and belt and I still get a squealing noise. First I replaced the belt but the squealing came back after a couple of weeks so I replaced the tensioner. That fixed it for a couple of months until now when the squealing has returned. I removed the belt and spun every pulley by hand and no noise from any of them except for a SLIGHT noise when I spin the alternator pulley. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Pick up some belt dressing, solely for trouble shooting. Spray the channel in each pulley one-by-one until you find the culprit. My guess is you have a pulley out of alignment and it glazes the belt(s) after a short time.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM
04DSGB
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Pick up some belt dressing, solely for trouble shooting. Spray the channel in each pulley one-by-one until you find the culprit. My guess is you have a pulley out of alignment and it glazes the belt(s) after a short time.
I did notice some dried up belt residue on the smooth idler pullies. Is that from the belt getting glazed? I sanded and cleaned those idlers yesterday and it didn't change anything sadly.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Try a Goodyear Gatorback Belt, might work. It solved my problem. Been squeak free for 18 months now.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
04DSGB
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Try a Goodyear Gatorback Belt, might work. It solved my problem. Been squeak free for 18 months now.
This is what I was considering doing, I just hate to waste money on another belt without finding the cause of my issues. I do know the Gatorback belt is supposed the work well for slight pulley misalignment. If I can't find the problem I will give the Gatorback a try.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd still try the belt dressing before spending any more $$. Even after cleaning the residue on the pulley, that belt has been worn/glazed.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM
04DSGB
2nd Gear Member

I'd still try the belt dressing before spending any more $$. Even after cleaning the residue on the pulley, that belt has been worn/glazed.
You are right man, I need to identify why I am glazing a new belt after 2K miles. What is really weird is the noises are different with the 2 belts I have but both have squealing for sure.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Any change in belt materials or construction, even the tension, can change the pitch. I believe you're on the right track to finding and resolving the problem.

Too many people do what I refer to as "selective-modular-replacement" where they simply keep throwing parts at the problem until it's resolved. I suppose that's fine if you have the means to afford it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM
04DSGB
2nd Gear Member

Any change in belt materials or construction, even the tension, can change the pitch. I believe you're on the right track to finding and resolving the problem.

Too many people do what I refer to as "selective-modular-replacement" where they simply keep throwing parts at the problem until it's resolved. I suppose that's fine if you have the means to afford it.
First off, thank you for your help man!

I went out and decided to do a test with the water bottle. I sprayed the squealing belt with water around the tensioner area and the noise went away. From researching that means I have a pulley out of alignment in that area. I went ahead and removed the belt but nothing looks out of alignment.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I know that it's difficult to locate and to be honest, I've never detected the mis-alignment myself; I've only explained my findings and assumptions to a shop and they replaced a pulley on another vehicle of mine which solved the problem. When they pulled it off, they laid it on a flat surface and you could see daylight under about 25% of the circumference.

Quick Reply: This is driving me nuts!