Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
5th and 6th are very smooth. The gear shift has a strong centering spring, the shifts are "more solid". I don't really like it in stop/go traffic though (although that could also be the clutch), It seems to have some lugging issues at low RPM (under 2K), particularly 3rd + 4th.

Did a couple things at the same time so it's hard to judge what's/what, plus I'm still getting used to it.
Ok thanks. I have a SPEC3 setup now and it is horrible in traffic.

I drove a car with a RST setup and it was much nicer.

I am going to try to drive a car with this tranny before I buy it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Most of the cars that run HPDE and NASA events at Northern Cali tracks like Sears Point, Thunderhill & Laguna-Seca with automatic transmissions have custom programming to make the trans. perform and live under increased power.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
** Is it transmissioncenter.net or performanceautomatic.com

They both come up when Performance Auto is googled. Thanks!

I was thinking the auto might be less stressful on the driveline as well. I have built 3 AMG's, all autos. The only thing that I didn't like was going into and out of turns. Too much lag...

This is a big decision as I don't have the bank account to "not like it" after its installed...
Here you go. http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

Earl
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Helpful info. I will post the outcome.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

..... Best state in the country. Financial capital of the world.
Oh really, is that why most entrepreneurs find the need to bail out of that State??
Some of us could make the point that NY sucks with its "Up the yangyang" taxes and high cost of living, but we're not since we'd be off topic.

Anyway, as far as road course, an auto won't do and you'll wear your brakes twice as fast that's why you don't see them on those kind of tracks. It's all manual, tiptronic, sequential or whatever but never fully auto.
Also, why would you power shift on a road course unless you plan to only last 3 laps?

When it comes to heavy traffic, an auto makes a lot of sense for sure...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. You need to make some serious money to live here. A cop and a teacher make about $275k to $300k combined after 10 years on the job. Its insane... If your client base in not on Long Island or the 5 boroughs there is no sense to be here. My real estate taxes, home and flood insurance was 23k a year on a $550k house. Only in NY and CA. Anyway...

I was just looking to see what people are running on their cars if they were modifying the drivetrain. I wasn't sure if the new automatics are up to speed with the MB's and BMW's. I know the GM 6 speeds are pretty decent.

I know I am not sticking with the stock 5speed for sure. I word bet that a few shifts with 18lbs of boost would blow it up pretty quickly.

I meant power shifting at all in any scenario. I admit that I would hit the rev limiter more ofter than not if I left my foot in it. I blip the gas when I shift...

Originally Posted by pascal
Oh really, is that why most entrepreneurs find the need to bail out of that State??
Some of us could make the point that NY sucks with its "Up the yangyang" taxes and high cost of living, but we're not since we'd be off topic.

Anyway, as far as road course, an auto won't do and you'll wear your brakes twice as fast that's why you don't see them on those kind of tracks. It's all manual, tiptronic, sequential or whatever but never fully auto.
Also, why would you power shift on a road course unless you plan to only last 3 laps?

When it comes to heavy traffic, an auto makes a lot of sense for sure...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you want something that will hold up to the power, still be a great DD trans and cost is not a factor then get this setup. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmissi...s.html/?main=4

Earl
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
If you want something that will hold up to the power, still be a great DD trans and cost is not a factor then get this setup. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmissi...s.html/?main=4

Earl
That is def pretty cool. Seems like $9k after torque convertor and driveshaft. Way over budget... I am going to drive a 6 speed magnum car and an AOD car before I make a purchase. This is too much money to throw around on a whim...
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I just spoke to Freddie at FB Transmissions. He is 10 minutes from my house and has a complete 4R70W setup installed for about $6k. Full manual shifting, electronic overdrive switch and lockup.

It is down to this tranny and the 6Speed Tremec Magnum with the 2.62 first. I am going with 3.73's either way.

The entire setup is about the same price for both. Just have to decide if I want to worry about clutches, shifting, traffic... The SPEC3 was unbearable yesterday 70 minutes to go 20 miles.

And am I a good enough driver to react as fast as an Auto without the driveline load and unload of shifting? I am not ashamed to say that I am not... I don't powershift and I hit my rev limiter alot LOL
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I just spoke to Freddie at FB Transmissions. He is 10 minutes from my house and has a complete 4R70W setup installed for about $6k. Full manual shifting, electronic overdrive switch and lockup.
For a built 4R70W installed, that sounds like a great price. I know guys with a lot more $$ than that in their transmissions.

Quick Reply: Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?