Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?

Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?

I am getting my parts together for my Winter project.

I plan on having about 600rwhp.

I have been looking at the new Tremec Magnum 6speed. I am guessing it will hold up, but I have been thinking.

I have never blown up an automatic, I have toasted many a 5 speed.

I seems an automatic is less stressful on a drivetrain compared to power shifting a manual.

Question is this. Is there an automatic that I would be happy with that would be responsive on a road course?

I want to eliminate any chance of breaking anything in my driveline with the new engine.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I can care less about manually shifting, its how responsive the pedal to the pavement a tranny is...

I have a SPEC3 in my car now and it sucks in traffic.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If you were drag racing, the hands down answer would be a good automatic. On the road course, I'd kind of like to see the answer, I just don't see them being responsive enough to hit the shift when you want it without a paddle shifter.

I have the T56 magnum XL and there are a few things from an installation point of view you may want to be aware of... (1)The replacement crossbrace doesn't have exhaust hangers, so you'll have to weld something on if you want your front exhaust hangers, (2)the instructions are extremely lean, no torque specs. (3)reverse light switch is on passenger side, so a bit of routing. (4)reverse lockout solenoid, the 5 speed doesn't have one, but you will want to wire this up because the effort to push past the lockout is enough to strain your left shoulder, I wired it to the lower switch at the brake pedal, after the switch, and then to ground, the lower switch on the brake pedal is used for brake lights, and they still operate properly after teeing into the downside of the switch.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

"Winter" project? 600 RWHP? In New York?
Really?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

That is the tranny I am looking at. How does it feel? What is your overall opinion on it? It comes out to about $5500 with a flywheel, clutch setup and driveshaft, so I was hoping to get real world results first.

Thanks for the items to look out for.

Originally Posted by danzcool
If you were drag racing, the hands down answer would be a good automatic. On the road course, I'd kind of like to see the answer, I just don't see them being responsive enough to hit the shift when you want it without a paddle shifter.

I have the T56 magnum XL and there are a few things from an installation point of view you may want to be aware of... (1)The replacement crossbrace doesn't have exhaust hangers, so you'll have to weld something on if you want your front exhaust hangers, (2)the instructions are extremely lean, no torque specs. (3)reverse light switch is on passenger side, so a bit of routing. (4)reverse lockout solenoid, the 5 speed doesn't have one, but you will want to wire this up because the effort to push past the lockout is enough to strain your left shoulder, I wired it to the lower switch at the brake pedal, after the switch, and then to ground, the lower switch on the brake pedal is used for brake lights, and they still operate properly after teeing into the downside of the switch.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
"Winter" project? 600 RWHP? In New York?
Really?
Uhhh. Winter. Between fall and spring. Time when you do not drive a convertible. 600 rwhp. About the same as a modified GT500. NY. Best state in the country. Financial capital of the world.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
Financial capital of the world.
Based on how my portfolio's been performing the past few weeks, I wouldn't brag too hard on that right now, lol.

As for the tranny, I'd go straight to a built 4R70W if I were you. It's on my list of future plans. (Somewhere after "buy built shortblock" and "win lottery".)
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I agree with danzcool. For a drag car the 4R70W is the way to go but for a road track car I'm not sure how well it would work. I would suggest calling the guys at Performance Auto and tell them what you are planning. They should be able to tell you, with conviction, whether a 4R70 would work.

Earl
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Based on how my portfolio's been performing the past few weeks, I wouldn't brag too hard on that right now, lol.

As for the tranny, I'd go straight to a built 4R70W if I were you. It's on my list of future plans. (Somewhere after "buy built shortblock" and "win lottery".)
I am right there! But win lottery would bring me the new 2013 Shelby...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I agree with danzcool. For a drag car the 4R70W is the way to go but for a road track car I'm not sure how well it would work. I would suggest calling the guys at Performance Auto and tell them what you are planning. They should be able to tell you, with conviction, whether a 4R70 would work.

Earl

** Is it transmissioncenter.net or performanceautomatic.com

They both come up when Performance Auto is googled. Thanks!

I was thinking the auto might be less stressful on the driveline as well. I have built 3 AMG's, all autos. The only thing that I didn't like was going into and out of turns. Too much lag...

This is a big decision as I don't have the bank account to "not like it" after its installed...

Last edited by hollywub; 05-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
That is the tranny I am looking at. How does it feel? What is your overall opinion on it? It comes out to about $5500 with a flywheel, clutch setup and driveshaft, so I was hoping to get real world results first.

Thanks for the items to look out for.
5th and 6th are very smooth. The gear shift has a strong centering spring, the shifts are "more solid". I don't really like it in stop/go traffic though (although that could also be the clutch), It seems to have some lugging issues at low RPM (under 2K), particularly 3rd + 4th.

Did a couple things at the same time so it's hard to judge what's/what, plus I'm still getting used to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?