Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pinion seal leak--dealer fix--still leaking... Advice?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Question Pinion seal leak--dealer fix--still leaking... Advice?

Took the car in last week to get a leaking pinion seal fixed. They did it under warranty with no hassle. When they did fix it they did not clean any of the leaked oil off the outside of anything, go figure. Anyway, I finally had a chance to get under the car yesterday and clean everything, including the oil that was slung all over the under carriage. Went to work and back home today and decided to double check and make sure everything was kosher, only to find out she's still leaking Here are the shots of the leak when I brought it in the 1st time.

This is after one day to and from work. Circled in black is what is again leaking, the parts circled in green were not leaking the first time I brought it in, but are now. I know very little about this and am wondering if any of you have any idea on what might have happened with their 'fix' that would
1. cause it to continue to leak, and
2. have new leaks?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

All the circles around the bolts are not leaks. They use grease, loc-tite or oil to install the bolts and that is still seeping out nothing to worry about there.

The same thing with the seal instal. clean it a few more times and if it doesn't look like it did before you took it in your fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
All the circles around the bolts are not leaks. They use grease, loc-tite or oil to install the bolts and that is still seeping out nothing to worry about there.

The same thing with the seal instal. clean it a few more times and if it doesn't look like it did before you took it in your fine.
Agreed, it's probably just some residual oil left inside the pinion flange. I would just keep an eye on it.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp

Okay, thanks! I feel a little retarded now. I didn't realize it would seep for a while after. So I am assuming that if it is a leak that comes back, it'll pretty much 'pour' out like last time then? Figurativley speaking...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Agreed, it's probably just some residual oil left inside the pinion flange. I would just keep an eye on it.
Thank you sir. Question, you were a ton of help in my thread when I first realized I had this leak. After reading everything, I tried to measure my pinion angle and posted the results in that thread. I don't suppose you could give me some feedback on what I came up with?