Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking to exceed the 500rwhp barrier..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Wow didn't even notice he said that. Sorry dude, 33k in mods? Looking at your sig, you're doing it wrong if you're 33k deep.

Well, yes. The iron BOSS blocks are pretty damn strong, and they come in big bore so you can go 323ci on those guys. Other option would be the Aluminator from Ford. If you can find one, since I'm 90% sure they stopped making them
The block itself should be fine for those power levels. Sean Hyland has builds with far more power with the stock block (not stock rotating assembly). Dont forget to throw in the cost of machining the block. Parallel decking, align honing, boring and honing, cylinder head decking.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Wow there is a lot of false info in this thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

"""Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I hope that 33k includes the car otherwise wtf did you buy?

Wow didn't even notice he said that. Sorry dude, 33k in mods? Looking at your sig, you're doing it wrong if you're 33k deep.

LOL!!! You want my excel spreadsheet of everything done to this car??? I am sorry if I like my car to be completed upgraded, not just throwing on a supercharger and slicks...

I couldn't fit everything in my sig.

It's going to be over $40k in 3 days adding on a Tremec Magnum XL and Wavetrac rear end and new axles...

*** Anyway. Any builder will be in the $8k range for a long block with port work. You can get a great short block built for $3500 or so using your block and just slap your heads on after you have them checked out. But I would do everything I could to the heads to get max power at the lowest boost possible. This is going to be a pump gas car, so you are limited there as well.

Someone mentioned Sean Hyland. i am pretty sure he gets $12k or so for a long block.

Last edited by hollywub; 06-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:45 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Wow there is a lot of false info in this thread.
You should elaborate... I have seen your posts and they are well thought out and usually on the money.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub

LOL!!! You want my excel spreadsheet of everything done to this car??? I
Would be interesting to see hollywub. I just can't imagine spending 33k, not including the car. I'm about 30k in total into the Saleen, including the car, (25k) and at 500whp. The block I have is good until ~800-900hp. Would be interesting to see what else you did and what it cost. I'm assuming a lot of the 33k is shop labor?

S197, as far as I know the aluminator and B302, but use the stock block. I know on my B302 at least, it was the stock Ford 4.6 block, but with upgraded internals. So really no different than a forged rotating assembly in the stock block unless I'm missing something.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I started with a stock 2006 Gt Convertible. In the long run it should have just bought a Shelby. It spiraled out of control.

whats your email address?

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Would be interesting to see hollywub. I just can't imagine spending 33k, not including the car. I'm about 30k in total into the Saleen, including the car, (25k) and at 500whp. The block I have is good until ~800-900hp. Would be interesting to see what else you did and what it cost. I'm assuming a lot of the 33k is shop labor?

S197, as far as I know the aluminator and B302, but use the stock block. I know on my B302 at least, it was the stock Ford 4.6 block, but with upgraded internals. So really no different than a forged rotating assembly in the stock block unless I'm missing something.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
I started with a stock 2006 Gt Convertible. In the long run it should have just bought a Shelby. It spiraled out of control.

whats your email address?
I'd be interested as well. Can you attach files to a PM?

Siggy,

Not sure if there is a difference between a stock block, and the aluminator or B302. If there isn't why would people buy those instead of just forged internals?

Hence my assumption.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Siggy,

Not sure if there is a difference between a stock block, and the aluminator or B302. If there isn't why would people buy those instead of just forged internals?

Hence my assumption.
B302 From Brenspeed has/had better internals than an aluminator. Ford Racing has no more 4.6l 3v aluminum short blocks. Only through service for double the price.

The BOSS Iron Block is gaining popularity now. I took weight out of the car, not sure if adding weight is necessary.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I personally want 625 to 650 rwhp. So I am just using my block and heads for the build.

It is def cheaper using your block and heads.

For most people on the street, the stock block with forged internals is very good.

I will try to PM you guys.

I actually got a little sick when I added it up to be honest.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Siggy,

Hence my assumption.
Two reasons I can think of:

One, so they can keep driving as they build.

Two, for when your rod is sticking out of the block (or simply damaged beyond repair), as was my case .
Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Wow, reading all of this makes me think twice. Be interested to see what 908 has to say since he made that comment earlier but, damn.. I am looking at all of things needed to do and, it's no so much a money thing but, a reliability thing. I am taking the car to a point it doesn't even resemble what it came with. I think 650 does sound more logical here. If I want more I guess the best option would be to sell this one day and get a 2013+ Shelby. For now though, I'm satisfied getting a new rotating assembly and tranny with the gt500 pumps and a tvs2300..lol

Quick Reply: Looking to exceed the 500rwhp barrier..