Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Default I need a little help

I was on my to work yesterday driving down interstate 81, when getting off 81 to get onto 70 i had some slow scion tc in front of me. So I had to down shift into 3rd. When I seen my opening I shoved the go pedal and took off. shifted at about 5600 rpm into 4th. Then at 4500rpm in 4th the wrench light came on and the car went into "limp mode" i slowed down and got off onto the shoulder and turned the car off for a second. then turned it back on and the wrench light was gone and the car drove fine the rest of the way to work. I drive about 35 miles to work one way and this happend about 15 miles into the trip. I havent done any mods in a while bc im saving for a short block, turbo setup. my mods are: Roush CAI, CMDP, shorty headers, off road x pipe, frpp stingers, 4.10's, and just a basic 87 octane tune for 87 gas(daily driver for now)

this is the 1st time its ever happend, ive been to the track numerous times and rip and tear on it a little here and there and never had a issue. There was no check engine light, the car never went into "limp mode" again or anything. If anyone has had this happen or knows someone thats had this issue and knows how to fix it or what could have caused it could you help me out?

thanks
jon
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

What we weather conditions? Pull you programmer and look for codes. There can be pending codes even without a light on
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

it was actually really nice out, sunny around 78-80 degree's out. yea i checked for codes before i left work this morning and it didnt have any. i drove it the whole way home and nothing happend, did a couple light pulls just to see if i could get it to happen again and nothing. Drove to work again today, it was a little hotter out around 85-90 so i didnt mess around too much but still got into it a little on the on ramps and still nothing happend.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Could be a fluke in the tune. First, get a can of MAF cleaner (limo mode is activated most often with dirty MAFs) and clean it. Make sure all intake clamps are secure. Then unplug your battery for 20 minutes, perhaps while cleaning the MAF? Then after everything is connected and ready to go, reload your factory tune then reload your custom tune.

I was fail safing and going in to limp mode several times a week before I discovered a problem with my air filter which was allowing debris in to the MAF.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Fish05
1st Gear Member

The same thing happen to me. Only a one time thing and it never happen again. I figured it was just a random glitch and if there is a real problem then it would come back. I have put about 25k miles since the fail safe and no issues.