Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vibrations from the rear at ~100-120mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

ok JimC I'll do that and post the pictures!
Thanks for helping me!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

So I finally had the chance to take a quick pic (my car is lowered and I didn't have time to jack it up, that explains the poor quality of the pics XD) and I did a little bit of research and it seems that my Upper Arm Control is an adjustable one!

So I think that my next step is gonna be to check that pinion angle and I'll let you know what I find out. I'll keep you posted
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

So I think I'm gonna do like you JimC and bring my car to the shop that does all the work on my car for me. But when I talked to him yesterday, he told me to first change the rims and the tires... because the issue might come from there!

I was planning on changing anyway so that's not a big deal but do you think that it is the right approach: Changing the rims + tires and then put the car on the dyno to check where the vibration comes from?

I'd like to do a quick check on my pinion angle first, but can't find an easy way to crawl under my car with the suspension loaded...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I noticed your wheels were recently balanced? Was it a static balance or dynamic balance or road force balance?

Also, everything was ok until the rear gear install? Were the axles pulled all the way out or just pulled out enough to put the new gears in? If they were pulled all the way out, were they put back into he correct side?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by French_Frize
I was planning on changing anyway so that's not a big deal but do you think that it is the right approach: Changing the rims + tires and then put the car on the dyno to check where the vibration comes from?
I agree that is the right approach. Change them out...If the vibration is gone, then the problem is highly likely to be your rims/tires. If it's still there, then I'd focus on the pinion angle.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I noticed your wheels were recently balanced? Was it a static balance or dynamic balance or road force balance?

Also, everything was ok until the rear gear install? Were the axles pulled all the way out or just pulled out enough to put the new gears in? If they were pulled all the way out, were they put back into he correct side?
I have to admit that I didn't know there were that many types of balancing, I only knew the standard one (they put the wheel on the machine that spins and tell them where and how much weight to put on the wheel) and the one a little bit fancier where they do it as if you were driving the car by applying a load on the wheel while they balance it.

I think I got the standard wheel balancing.

I don't think the issue come from the gears, they have been put on by a trustworthy shop, but to answer your more detailed questions I assume they put the gears correctly...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM
JimC

You do have the adjustable aftermarket upper control arm. So once you verify the wheel and tire balance then get the pinion angle checked and adjusted if needed.

Do you have aftermarket wheels by the way? If so, check to see if you have the little retainer ring on one of the lugs. They are used during assembly and aren't needed afterwards. With aftermarket wheels they can cause vibration as well. I put my new drag wheels on 2 weeks ago and have vibration as soon as I got on the highway. Got back home pulled the wheels and there were the little rings, adding just enough space to cause a slight wobble.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

I do have aftermarket rims but they have been on and off the car so many times (balancing, changing tires...) I doubt the little retaining ring would still be on the lug but I'll check this weekend. So to make sure I understood, this retaining ring would be between my lug and the wheel itself, correct?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by French_Frize
I do have aftermarket rims but they have been on and off the car so many times (balancing, changing tires...) I doubt the little retaining ring would still be on the lug but I'll check this weekend. So to make sure I understood, this retaining ring would be between my lug and the wheel itself, correct?
You'll see the retaining ring around the stud when you pull the wheel. I know there's a picture somewhere that someone had, but almost everyone has reported vibration with those with aftermarket wheels. Worth a check. Good luck, looks like JimC has been some amazing help to you so far.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
You'll see the retaining ring around the stud when you pull the wheel. I know there's a picture somewhere that someone had, but almost everyone has reported vibration with those with aftermarket wheels. Worth a check. Good luck, looks like JimC has been some amazing help to you so far.
You're right JimC has been a huge help! I'll take my wheels off this week end and check that out.

Also what torque value do you use for your lug nuts?

Quick Reply: Vibrations from the rear at ~100-120mph