Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Carbureted S197?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd be more concerned about the impact on the electronics; that would be the bigger PITA, IMO.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

strange but interesting. sounds like a real pita but more power to u
Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Funny how folks look back at the days of carburetors and distributors as the good old days...............
I would never want to own a car with either ever again.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
why would you want to it'd be more problematic then anything
If anything, it would be LESS mechanically problematic than a new 5.0. Since you have no hope of warranty in either case, I say go old school.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grandpajay
Hey guys,

simple question. I want to know if I can replace my fuel injected plenum with a carbureted system. I've looked over the net and asked the car guys at work but no one seems to know. I've seen one guy put a 460 in his with dual holleys but I want to do it with the stock 289.

let me know if anyone know's of a part of has some ideas =)

thanks!

Mike
You can't replace the intake (space between heads is wider and ports won't line up), but you can replace the motor. I want to do the same thing, only with a 331 or 347 stroker, and yes - with dual quads. People claim it's "less reliable" and "problematic", but I ran a dual-quad (AND dual points) setup for years on a street car, and it ran great, and without hiccups. It was a road race Mustang, but turned 13's at the strip on pump gas and street tires.

I say go for it, but it's gonna cost some money. Front suspension changes (K member), motor mount adapters, and wiring harness mods - at the minimum will be required. If you want to keep your accessories, you're going to need additional brackets. There's also the question of other stuff in the car controlled by the computer (including the fuel system).

Your best bet is to try and make contact with that guy with the 460, and ask him what he had to do to make it work. You can also try contacting the various Ford/Mustang-specific car magazines to see if they have any sources for additional info. If you ask in any of the various forums, you're mostly gonna get comments along the lines of "that's stupid", or "it ain't worth it".

If you're gonna do it, I wouldn't waste my time with a "stock 289". If you're gonna be violating smog rules, you may as go as big and nasty as you can afford.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
Funny how folks look back at the days of carburetors and distributors as the good old days...............
I would never want to own a car with either ever again.
That's because they WERE the good old days.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

OP it could be done but it would involve lots of research and lots of $$$$. You would need to convert to a distributor setup and a stand alone ignition system like the BigStuff 3. I don't see any way you could get the stock computer to work with a carb setup.

The big question, like others have asked, is WHY? It would be a real pain and would most likely make a lot less HP then the stock system. I started racing a long time ago in the carb era and I would never willingly go back.

Earl
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
OP it could be done but it would involve lots of research and lots of $$$$. You would need to convert to a distributor setup and a stand alone ignition system like the BigStuff 3. I don't see any way you could get the stock computer to work with a carb setup.

The big question, like others have asked, is WHY? It would be a real pain and would most likely make a lot less HP then the stock system. I started racing a long time ago in the carb era and I would never willingly go back.

Earl
It's probably not about power, or fuel economy. It's more than likely about the noise, the idle, the eye candy, and the fact that you don't need to (and most likely can't) take it to the dealer if something goes wrong. It might even be the draw of a perfectly straight body/chassis to start with a 50-year old wreck and wondering when rusted out floor pans are gonna drop out from underneath your feet.

Hot-rodding has never been about what "makes sense", or how much it's gonna cost. It's always been about the challenge and one's own vision.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
That's because they WERE the good old days.
Sorry Bro, I lived those days. Gotta throw the BS flag. I like FI and electronic ignition.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

The ONLY way I see this being anything other than a pipe-dream is if you already had the chassis, engine and mounts, trans, etc and the chassis was bare of all electronics already. THAT I could see. But taking a prefectly good running car, even a V6 and dropping a carbed V8 in is MUCH more work and money than it's worth. It CAN be done, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

I remember screwing around with the Holley Double Pumpers on my Dodge 360 in my "79 truck and the 352BB in my '68 F100. They were soo much of a PITA. Every week it was something else going wrong. That and the Dodge was getting 8mpgs back then.....F100 not much better at 10mpgs.

Last edited by Ditty; 01-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbureted S197?