Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

need MGW install tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Took me about an hour and a half taking my time on ramps. Literally unbolt a few things, put the new one in, bolt it up. Only hard part is fitting the shifter through the hole to the trans, and it just takes some wiggling. Helps to have someone under the car guiding it in. Once it's in, bolt it up and you're done!

Great shifter btw! Their instruction videos are all you need as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Took me about an hour and a half taking my time on ramps. Literally unbolt a few things, put the new one in, bolt it up. Only hard part is fitting the shifter through the hole to the trans, and it just takes some wiggling. Helps to have someone under the car guiding it in. Once it's in, bolt it up and you're done!

Great shifter btw! Their instruction videos are all you need as well.
great, thanks very much
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

One more tip, remove the driveshaft. You don't absolutely need to, but it makes it much easier to get to everything and saves you time in the long run.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
One more tip, remove the driveshaft. You don't absolutely need to, but it makes it much easier to get to everything and saves you time in the long run.
ill keep that in mind, thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If you do remove the driveshaft, be sure to match mark it so it goes back in the same way it came out. This assures no vibration.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Woodys2718

As everyone has said... this is a pretty straight forward install. Just follow the directions.

Heck, the hardest thing I ran across was just unscrewing the stock shifter ball from the shaft. I turned and turned till blisters appeared on both my palms. It wouldn't loosen up. I called MGW and spoke with the guy on the videos (George??). He said it may be stripped. So I turned and turned some more while pulling up with everything I had in me. After about 10 minutes of pulling and turning it finally let loose. It must have been cross threaded at the factory so it wouldn't back out.

After struggling for an hour just removing the shifter ball, it took me about 30 minutes to install and adjust the MGW.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Woodys2718
As everyone has said... this is a pretty straight forward install. Just follow the directions.

Heck, the hardest thing I ran across was just unscrewing the stock shifter ball from the shaft. I turned and turned till blisters appeared on both my palms. It wouldn't loosen up. I called MGW and spoke with the guy on the videos (George??). He said it may be stripped. So I turned and turned some more while pulling up with everything I had in me. After about 10 minutes of pulling and turning it finally let loose. It must have been cross threaded at the factory so it wouldn't back out.

After struggling for an hour just removing the shifter ball, it took me about 30 minutes to install and adjust the MGW.

Good luck
nice info, thanks!