Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

need MGW install tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default need MGW install tips

Hey everybody, haven't seen a thread on this so i apologize ahead of time if this is already answered.

alright im ordering an MGW short throw for my '10 GT and im wondering if the install should be done by a professional or if i could handle it. Ive done easy to medium difficulty mods on my car, but the only thing that im unsure about is the work under the car. Anyways could someone help me with this, and tips would help also.

And as a bonus, a review of how the shifter is would be nice too! thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Instructions are pretty cut and dry on short shifters.. It's not hard to do, a little time consuming but easy none the less. I wouldn't pay someone to do it, but then again I have a garage with a lot of tools.. If you've done your own work in the past, give it a shot. Worst that could happen is you get frustrated and take it somewhere, ha
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Instructions are pretty cut and dry on short shifters.. It's not hard to do, a little time consuming but easy none the less. I wouldn't pay someone to do it, but then again I have a garage with a lot of tools.. If you've done your own work in the past, give it a shot. Worst that could happen is you get frustrated and take it somewhere, ha
true! haha, i did watch the install videos directly from the site, but im just a worry wart when it comes to loosening bolts on the transmission. But i guess the only way to learn is to do it haha
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You shouldn't worry about it really, if you truly don't feel comfortable then don't do it. Just be safe about it and use common sense. Make sure you have everything you need in place.. I learned to wrench by doing, that's the only way you can learn. You don't need any specials tools so you should be good to go.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

You shouldn't worry about it really, if you truly don't feel comfortable then don't do it. Just be safe about it and use common sense. Make sure you have everything you need in place.. I learned to wrench by doing, that's the only way you can learn. You don't need any specials tools so you should be good to go.
Im sure i could handle it. Its not overly complicated, but like i said.. Im a worry wart hahah
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

MGW's installation instructions are top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to install it myself if I were you. Took me about 45 minutes with the car on jackstands. Would have been even quicker with a lift.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
MGW's installation instructions are top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to install it myself if I were you. Took me about 45 minutes with the car on jackstands. Would have been even quicker with a lift.
great! for someone who isnt too familiar with doing a short shifter install, it would be pretty simple? also there isnt TOO much to do under the car is there?

thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Most of the work is under the car really.. unbolting, bolting, etc.. Not hard though, just easier with a lift so you have room to move around and breathe. But can still be done on jackstands.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Most of the work is under the car really.. unbolting, bolting, etc.. Not hard though, just easier with a lift so you have room to move around and breathe. But can still be done on jackstands.
okay good. ill most likely install it myself, thanks guys
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Shifter install is easy. Like everyone said not to much to messup.
Hell I was comfortable doing my cam install. Even if a small good caused me to lose timing. Learn to succeed and you can keep going.

Quick Reply: need MGW install tips