Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

accidentally started car with MAF unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that there are others out there as occassionally-brainless as I am.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Have any of you guys lost their cell phones because you put it by the wiper blades and forgot to retrieve it when you took off after working on your car?
Yeah that's me! lol.
I think it's worse than forgetting to reconnect a plug...
Lol, that is definitely a new one for me..
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

We've all had a brain fart.

Years ago my buddy wanted to flush the cooling system of his Merc station wagon with a 460 V8.
He screwed in a garden hose adapter into what he thought was the cooling jacket and turned on the hose. Well, it wasn't the cooling jacket, but the oil gallery. He said he knew he had a problem when water started gushing out the oil fill cap. That's right, he filled the entire block with H2O. I still laugh about that one.

My son-in law dumped an entire jug of anti-freeze into the crankcase of his Cadillac thinking it was the cooling system over flow tank.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I once completed an entire suspension swap and forgot to put a brake caliper on the front driver side rotor. It was still hung from a coat hanger under the car. Got in, hit the brakes and the cylinders popped right out of the caliper and onto the floor...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
We've all had a brain fart.

Years ago my buddy wanted to flush the cooling system of his Merc station wagon with a 460 V8.
He screwed in a garden hose adapter into what he thought was the cooling jacket and turned on the hose. Well, it wasn't the cooling jacket, but the oil gallery. He said he knew he had a problem when water started gushing out the oil fill cap. That's right, he filled the entire block with H2O. I still laugh about that one.

My son-in law dumped an entire jug of anti-freeze into the crankcase of his Cadillac thinking it was the cooling system over flow tank.
Wasn't there a kid on here who did that to his Cobra? He wanted to clean the engine or flush ot or something so he drained the oil, ran a garden hose into the fill neck and flushed it till he saw clear water come out the bottom.. Then re-filled it with oil and couldn't figure out why it would run, lol.. I could swear that was on here or maybe on Corral or Stangnet.. I gotta find that thread now.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Wasn't there a kid on here who did that to his Cobra? He wanted to clean the engine or flush ot or something so he drained the oil, ran a garden hose into the fill neck and flushed it till he saw clear water come out the bottom.. Then re-filled it with oil and couldn't figure out why it would run, lol.. I could swear that was on here or maybe on Corral or Stangnet.. I gotta find that thread now.
Yup, that's on here. A few people have it linked in their sigs. He put water through the crankcase and I believe he ran it while running water through it...

We've all got our brainless moments. That takes the cake, but the cell phone one gave me a laugh!

Edit: Here we go!
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-this-car.html

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 09-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I've left my keys in my trunk more times than I care to admit... Then I have to crawl into the back seats and pull them down to get to my keys... Did this in a walmart parking lot once, and everyone was looking at me. Probably thought I had a dead person in the trunk or something lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
I didn't thinik that was real.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I didn't thinik that was real.
Can't confirm or deny it since I didn't know him.. but didn't he end up having to sell the car since he hydrolocked it? lol
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Ok, I'll share my "D'oh" story

Had a Benz in the shop one day for a standard oil change and transmission fluid change. Took off the engine cover to replace the oil filter, took off 2 skid-plates to get access to the undercarraige, pulled the oil plug, dropped the transmission pan and replaced the trans internal filter. Buttoned everything back up nice and clean. Pumped the new 5w40 synthetic via the oil cap opening. The transmission didn't have a "cap" or opening similar to other transmissions, you just pour it down the dipstick tubing. Now, the important part, there is a red dipstick tube for the transmission and a black transmission tube for engine oil. However, Benz being idiots, they don't give you dipsticks to check the level, just caps to seal off the tube ends. (They don't want you to check your transmission, so they take your dipstick away. Then it's persuading to have it serviced at the dealership...)

I get in the car to run it through the gears, and it wont budge. Engine runs, but transmission is lifeless. I'm thinking I must of bumped some wiring in the pan or who knows what, so I completely undo everything and the transmission pan is virtually empty. I'm like WTF!!??

Well, after some thinking, I realize the RED dipstick is for the engine oil, and the BLACK dipstick is for transmission. What idiots!!!! I had over 3 gallons of oil/atf in the engine and no oil in the trans...

Had to do everything over yet AGAIN!

Last edited by baddog671; 09-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: accidentally started car with MAF unplugged