Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Free Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

the blower is $6,000. The horsepower it makes is technically free.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Hahahaha +1 on above post!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
" 1. cut the air box where the filter sits to get more air (and dust?) a coolant bypass - hose from radiator to the tb so keeps the motor hot and gets rid of the gases (huh?) and cut the MAF sensor screen for more airflow.

yea. modify the opening to the airbox, i mentioned the coolant bypass, and descreening the MAF

the airbox thing is supposed to do a little bit. may help throttle response? idk. (helping the car breath anyway)

the bypass- i think it just help some of the fluid flow a little more efficiently,

Descreening MAF- also supposed to help with the incoming air but i dont believe it does jack ****, and as far as im concerned it just lets dirt and debris into the engine so its dumb.

**Note- i havent done any of these "mods" and i dont believe much, if any

power is gained from them. So dont jump on me

but of course there are some people who probably, like your friend
(not trying to be offensive) that may beleive that they do make a significant difference.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like what the W-Body guys do. GM loves restrictive air boxes, so on those cars you can cut out the part that sits behind the headlight to expose the filter to more air. Also there's a plug one can buy for the throttle body coolant passage to keep intake temps down. Alot of guys also run a cooler thermostat. Must be a GM thing because I owned a few before switching to Ford and in my opinion Ford engineers seem to put more thought into the design.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Sounds like what the W-Body guys do. GM loves restrictive air boxes, so on those cars you can cut out the part that sits behind the headlight to expose the filter to more air. Also there's a plug one can buy for the throttle body coolant passage to keep intake temps down. Alot of guys also run a cooler thermostat. Must be a GM thing because I owned a few before switching to Ford and in my opinion Ford engineers seem to put more thought into the design.
Yeah I dont think our throttle bodies even use that coolant thing, its all electronic
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick V.
yea. modify the opening to the airbox, i mentioned the coolant bypass, and descreening the MAF

the airbox thing is supposed to do a little bit. may help throttle response? idk. (helping the car breath anyway)

the bypass- i think it just help some of the fluid flow a little more efficiently,

Descreening MAF- also supposed to help with the incoming air but i dont believe it does jack ****, and as far as im concerned it just lets dirt and debris into the engine so its dumb.

**Note- i havent done any of these "mods" and i dont believe much, if any

power is gained from them. So dont jump on me

but of course there are some people who probably, like your friend
(not trying to be offensive) that may beleive that they do make a significant difference.
Yeah the only thing to me that makes sense is the coolant bypass thing, as for the air box why not just go out and get an intake with a bigger box? the descreening MAF dosent sound like a good idea to me though
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I do remember making a smooth bellow was a big deal back in the day now that I think about it..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

Put a super hot topless chick in your passenger seat...It won't increase your power or speed, but it will sure as hell will slow down the competition...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Yeah the only thing to me that makes sense is the coolant bypass thing, as for the air box why not just go out and get an intake with a bigger box? the descreening MAF dosent sound like a good idea to me though
probably because of how easy it is to just remove all the extra plastic. also im not sure if there are bigger airbox setups for the ls1.

then again maybe there is, but hell i dont think you'd need one till you were making serious power.

if your friend has a 98 he should also go buy a ls6 intake. they became standard on the ls1 after 2000 i believe. they flow better. He does however have a slightly bigger cam than the 01-02 camaros.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Cutting the airbox to allow more air flow would be equivalent to a CAI w/o a tune: useless.

Quick Reply: Free Horsepower??