Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Trans. Fluid. Should I just pay?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Well ,this just took a turn for the worst.

I've been very easy on this car through 44K miles and it has never been tracked. The clutch has always seemed fine. While not an exact test, I can stomp the throttle in 5th gear and the rpm's do not shoot up in a way that would signal a slipping clutch.

It is still early in my work morning and I may not be fully thinking while posting this next line so bear with me. I can also hear this noise coming from the shifter area when I rev the engine in neutral. How can that be clutch chatter?

Last edited by Rocket254; 10-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Here is my thought, take it to a dealership. If you can prove you have kept up with the maintenance you should be able to claim it under warrantee. You should have a 5 yr 60000 mile on engine/trans. If it is taken care of with a flush they you may have to pony up the money but if it is a real issue you should get it plus a flush done for free.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

What would i need to show that I have kept up with maintenance? I have documentation that it has had regular oil changes and such. I also have a CEL being thrown due to no cats (I do not have a tune yet) There is no way they could turn me away because of that is there?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

If your receipts show mileage and they are reasonably close mileage wise then you should be fine as long the the shop followed the recommended factory maintenance. If the check engine light is only due to no cats then you should be fine since the two systems aren't related.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Well ,this just took a turn for the worst.

I've been very easy on this car through 44K miles and it has never been tracked. The clutch has always seemed fine. While not an exact test, I can stomp the throttle in 5th gear and the rpm's do not shoot up in a way that would signal a slipping clutch.

It is still early in my work morning and I may not be fully thinking while posting this next line so bear with me. I can also hear this noise coming from the shifter area when I rev the engine in neutral. How can that be clutch chatter?
You can have hot spots on a clutch and still grab. You can also hear throwout bearing related noises in nuetral (in fact, they are often louder in nuetral). There is also a chance that the flange between the transmission and engine block is not properly seated, but if this is your original clutch, that is not likely. Unfortunately, the dealership will almost never change a clutch or clutch related parts under warranty. It is considered a wear item like brake pads and it is extremely difficult to prove that a defect led to the symptoms rather than driving style.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 10-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I was always under the impression that I could hear TOB problems when the clutch pedal is depressed. Mine is silent as can be when holding the pedal in. Driving at lunch today, /I noticed that the sound speeds up noticeably in frequency and then goes away as I move out of gear and into the next gate. (Really noticeable on 3-4 shifts). I can also feel a slight vibration in the shifter while I'm doing so.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

It doesn't seem like it is the throwout bearing going bad. You can definitely hear a throwout bearing louder in nuetral and you won't hear it with the clutch in. It tends to go away as rpm increases - at least mine does. I wouldn't think that a throwout bearing going bad would cause a vibration.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

After reading that I think I should clarify a bit. It isn't a vibration to the point that it is rattling the shifter or the car for that matter. Its just strong enough that I can "feel" the noise as if it is coming from the shifter itself if that makes sense...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
I noticed that the sound speeds up noticeably in frequency and then goes away as I move out of gear and into the next gate. (Really noticeable on 3-4 shifts). I can also feel a slight vibration in the shifter while I'm doing so.
Your clutch sounds like it isn't fully disengaging. Slave going out.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Is that something they will blame on "normal wear and tear"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans. Fluid. Should I just pay?