Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Replacing Clutch Specs vs Ram vs Exedy vs Competition. Which Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
TinaTxStangGirl

Exclamation Replacing Clutch Specs vs Ram vs Exedy vs Competition. Which Brand?

I'm replacing the clutch in my 2005 Mustang GT I bought that has 108k miles. I was originally going to go with a stage 1, but after speaking with different friends I'm leaning towards a stage 2. After replacing the clutch next step is intake,long tubes,&exhaust.
My question is which brand clutch should I go with?

*I hear that Specs is good but a lot of complaints with chattering.
*Ram I know the ford dealership sales.
*Exedy seems to have good reviews but all from the seller American muscle.
*Competition I've never heard of.

Also my next question is should I go with an aluminium or steel flywheel?
This car is my daily driver but I driver like she should be drivin,no babying.

Please help me so I can get started. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TinaTxStangGirl
I'm replacing the clutch in my 2005 Mustang GT I bought that has 108k miles. I was originally going to go with a stage 1, but after speaking with different friends I'm leaning towards a stage 2. After replacing the clutch next step is intake,long tubes,&exhaust.
My question is which brand clutch should I go with?

*I hear that Specs is good but a lot of complaints with chattering.
*Ram I know the ford dealership sales.
*Exedy seems to have good reviews but all from the seller American muscle.
*Competition I've never heard of.

Also my next question is should I go with an aluminium or steel flywheel?
This car is my daily driver but I driver like she should be drivin,no babying.

Please help me so I can get started. Thanks.
Tina,

Congratulations on the GT', Definitely post up some pictures we'd love to check it out! You'll be really happy with a CAI and Exhaust set up, that will really wake your Pony up.

Since you plan on going bolt ons for now a Stage 2 is definitely a good fit. As far as brand goes, this is definitely an opinionated question. Exedy, Spec and Ram are definitely top 5 clutch distributor. Some people do mention their Spec clutchs chattering, 9 out of 10 times its because they went with a light weight aluminum fly wheel.

I would probably go with an Exedy Mach 400 clutch and flywheel set up. If the car is just a daily driver then steal will be fine. Aluminum is usually for race use to help free up some rotating mass! This is just my opinion, I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't Exedy make the OEM clutches for Ford? Seems like I've read that somewhere.

I upgraded to a Mach500 clutch (because of the increase in hp/tq) with a steel flywheel. Very happy with the way it's performed.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Spec stage 2 with spec billet steel flywheel. this combo was great in my car and probably would have outlasted the motor if it hadn't gotten contaminated with oil/grease. It was very smooth on engagement just like stock.

I don't know your definition of clutch chatter, but to me it's vibration and noise you get when the clutch is engaging the flywheel, but it will not smoothly slip against the flywheel during engagement. Most clutches that have this kind of chatter are really aggressive material or a light weight flywheel like Dan mentioned. Also trying to slip the clutch with the rpms to low will cause a noticeable chatter/shaking sound with my spec 3+.

The stage 2 was so easy to drive that I could literally let the clutch out slowly at idle, car in reverse and it would back itself out of my driveway without touching the gas. The 3+ would probably kill the motor if I tried, because I'd have to let it out so fast to keep it from chattering.

The great thing about specs billet steel flywheel is you can replace the friction disc for $70 and don't have to buy a new flywheel or have yours resurfaced. I don't see anyone else doing this, but it's saved me a few hundred bucks all ready.

Last edited by moosestang; 09-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

McLeod.. can't be beat.. pricey but you get what you pay for..
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

McLeod RST/RXT. After driving one, there is no other option.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
TinaTxStangGirl

Thanks for all of the replies. They all are very helpful. Im leaning towards the Exedy as I was before. But most mechanics are pushing me towards a stage 2 spec and spec's steel flywheel.
Another question... I've replaced clutches in my Integra and Tiburon in the past and never replaced the flywheel but I also didn't upgrade the clutch. What is ya'lls opinion if I put a stage 2 in but just resurface the flywheel? What would be the pros and cons of doing this?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TinaTxStangGirl
Thanks for all of the replies. They all are very helpful. Im leaning towards the Exedy as I was before. But most mechanics are pushing me towards a stage 2 spec and spec's steel flywheel.
Another question... I've replaced clutches in my Integra and Tiburon in the past and never replaced the flywheel but I also didn't upgrade the clutch. What is ya'lls opinion if I put a stage 2 in but just resurface the flywheel? What would be the pros and cons of doing this?
I wouldn't do it. If there are any hot spots on the flywheel, resurfacing will not remove them and it will cause slippage/chatter. The spec steel flywheel isn't that much.

Change the hydraulic slave cylinder!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

I would go with exedy, I have the chromoly lightweight flywheel from them and I am going with a stage 2 or 3 clutch because I plan on doing heads soon as well. They chromoly is more reliable than the aluminum and its lighter than stock so you get best of both worlds.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think a lot of the aftermarket clutches have a larger diameter, and the stock flywheel will not take advantage of the full friction area of the aftermarket clutch.

Quick Reply: Replacing Clutch Specs vs Ram vs Exedy vs Competition. Which Brand?