Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

High zinc oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

high zink levels kills cats on newer cars...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Zink is good for all cars, it was removed because catalytic converters were mandated, it's jut not as much of a requirement in OHC motors. I don't have any other links but you can google auto oil test results and get lots of info.

Earl
all oil has zinc added. The reason they lowered the zinc/phosphorus levels in your average passenger car oil is because the fed mandates that catalytic converters need to last 8 years or 80,000 miles.

if you want high zinc, use a diesel oil like rotella T6 or get some of this
Amazon Amazon

I wouldn't use this oil if you have cats though. I might try that valvoline vr1 10w30 next change. If you are pushing a lot of power out of a stock motor, then high zinc/phosphorus oil couldn't hurt. All your bearings are under more load than Ford designed them for.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I only had about 3000 miles and 30 passes on my engine when the phaser came apart. My engine builder told me the bearings looked like the day he installed them. He said he wouldn't hesitate to re use them but I told him to go ahead and install new ones. There should have been some wear indication after all those passes but thanks to a great tune, no detonation beating the bearings and Amsoil they looked new.

Earl
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I've got to ask what motors? I've never known anyone to seize a motor and I bet your friends had more to do with it than Royal purple.

I use pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my car, but I'm moving to 10w30 next time.
youd be surprised. Both took meticulous care of their cars and were uti grads, and it didnt happen till they switched over to royal purple, nothing else caused the seizing but now quite a few people in this area stay away from it
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

cats are not a problem for me, I just want the best protection for my motor, and the vr1 isnt synth and has reduced detergent levels, isnt that not good for a street driven car?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
cats are not a problem for me, I just want the best protection for my motor, and the vr1 isnt synth and has reduced detergent levels, isnt that not good for a street driven car?
The vr1 that says not street legal has reduced detergents, but the regular vr1 10w30 doesn't say that.

They make a vr1 syn 10w30, but it's expensive. I've never seen it in my local parts store. You'll probably have to order it online. $60 per oil change, ouch!

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
.... I would change from Mobile 1, it has been shown to be one of the worst oils....

Earl
Since when? Never had problems with Mobil, even well beyond 100K miles.
Do you have a non-biased link that support that claim?

And yes, motorcycle oil... still SG rated.

Last edited by pascal; 12-01-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

from the reviews I have been reading amsoil, mobil 1 advanced synth, and pennzoil ultra class are the best right now
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by pascal
Since when? Never had problems with Mobil, even well beyond 100K miles.
Do you have a non-biased link that support that claim?

And yes, motorcycle oil... still SG rated.
DITTO

I use Mobil1 full synthetic with no problems, yet...

Links to this claim as it is 'the worst'?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I'm going by personal experience and that fact that most of the testing reports are not done on plain Mobile 1 but on one of the extended version. I have had 2 friends, with absolutely stock engines, have bearing failures that were oil related and both were using straight Mobile 1. These guys are both fanatical about there cars and both cars were perfectly maintained. So yes I have my doubts about straight Mobile 1. With all the other options out there I just wouldn't take a chance on it.

Earl

Quick Reply: High zinc oil?