Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

High zinc oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default High zinc oil?

Ive been using mobil 1 5w-20 advanced full synthetic for my oil. I have cams and I heard that with lopy cams you need to have high zinc oil to protect them. Otherwise the lobes will wear down. Is mobil 1 full synthetic enough? Or shuld I buy a high zinc oil?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard of this... anyone else?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Do you have cats? High zinc oils will destroy cats ove time. High zinc oils are good for bearings and the only reason companies changed are the emission requirements. You don't have to run high zinc but I would change from Mobile 1, it has been shown to be one of the worst oils. I prefer Amsoil myself http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd20.aspx but Valvoline is also very good http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ic-motor-oil/8 in 10w30. If you really want to learn about oil the go here. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Earl
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Do you have cats? High zinc oils will destroy cats ove time. High zinc oils are good for bearings and the only reason companies changed are the emission requirements. You don't have to run high zinc but I would change from Mobile 1, it has been shown to be one of the worst oils. I prefer Amsoil myself http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd20.aspx but Valvoline is also very good http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ic-motor-oil/8 in 10w30. If you really want to learn about oil the go here. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Earl
No i have no cats, but i want to stay full synthetic
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

And 10w 30 is heavy haha our engines call for 5w20
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Im also curious where you heard mobil 1 was the worst, because from what ive been hearing its one of the best. I know amsoil is really good too
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
And 10w 30 is heavy haha our engines call for 5w20
The only reason Ford went to 5W20 is for posted mileage, thin oil gets a little better gas mileage. I run 10W30 in mine because it's not stock anyway. If you have a stock engine you can still run 10W30 and have the advantage of a better safety margin. Myself I really wouldn't want to be turning 6500 rpm on 20W oil. Why do you think the GT500 runs 20W50 oil? Higher HP requires better lubrication.

Originally Posted by DTMR
Im also curious where you heard mobil 1 was the worst, because from what ive been hearing its one of the best. I know amsoil is really good too
Mobile 1 used to be a great oil but once it got popular they changed it and it doesn't fair very well in testing against the better synthetics.

Earl
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

The only reason Ford went to 5W20 is for posted mileage, thin oil gets a little better gas mileage. I run 10W30 in mine because it's not stock anyway. If you have a stock engine you can still run 10W30 and have the advantage of a better safety margin. Myself I really wouldn't want to be turning 6500 rpm on 20W oil. Why do you think the GT500 runs 20W50 oil? Higher HP requires better lubrication.

Mobile 1 used to be a great oil but once it got popular they changed it and it doesn't fair very well in testing against the better synthetics.

Earl
but that thing I just read on that link you sent me said you should go thinner not thicker if you read the motor oil university stuff
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Earl
listen to Earl. If you want an oil that's truly high in zinc, then you'll need a motorcycle oil. I don't think you can get a 10w30 with really high zince levels. Most motorcycles use 10w40.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
listen to Earl. If you want an oil that's truly high in zinc, then you'll need a motorcycle oil. I don't think you can get a 10w30 with really high zince levels. Most motorcycles use 10w40.
I was told about this oil in a speed shop. They sold high zinc oil there, but what I am confused about is the link he sent me states that you should go from 5w20 to 0w20 not 5w20 to 20w50. It was saying that oil does not get thin enough to harm the motor and it actually flows better when it gets hot

Quick Reply: High zinc oil?