Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 GT with Airad: can it pass CA smog with insert removed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 AM
edman49

Default 2006 GT with Airad: can it pass CA smog with insert removed?

I currently have only two mods: Pypes exhaust and the Airaid w/ insert & no tune. I have had it this way for six months, runs great, same mpg as before, maybe a little more power, but I cannot tell. I just got a Bama tuner with three "insert removed" tunes. Because nobody can actually see if the insert is in or out, and it is Carb approved with insert-in, will I probably pass smog with the street tune? Are there any CA guys out there that will tell me they already have passed smog? My daughter passed smog with it stock in 2011, now I will have to smog it next year. Yeah, I can add the insert and change the tune, but if it likely will pass with a tune and no insert, that is the way I'll leave it. I'll add the tune tomorrow, and hopefully never have cause to change it. thanks, input? edman
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Where in California are you located? I have a great shop that will pretest my car before I go on the official test just to make sure. I would call around and see what shops in your area do pre-test.

My SN95 had a full exhaust, catted X-Pipe, headers, intake, and tune, it passed with flying colors. My S197 hasn't had smog yet, so I'm not sure about that.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

AirRaid CAI's are not CARB legal. So in short no. If you have a shop that doesnt really care what CAI you run and just looks for CATS and makes sure your O2 readings are below the threshold then maybe you will get away with it.

Matthew
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If it has a carb eo, it will likely pass visual (no tech is going to spend time takingthings apart), and it will probably pass the tailpipe emmissions, what I'd be worried about is that a lot of these email tuners turn off the rear O2 sensors, and sensors "not ready" trigger an automatic fail. I'd ask AM to send you an emmissions tune.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by edman49
I currently have only two mods: Pypes exhaust and the Airaid w/ insert & no tune. I have had it this way for six months, runs great, same mpg as before, maybe a little more power, but I cannot tell. I just got a Bama tuner with three "insert removed" tunes. Because nobody can actually see if the insert is in or out, and it is Carb approved with insert-in, will I probably pass smog with the street tune? Are there any CA guys out there that will tell me they already have passed smog? My daughter passed smog with it stock in 2011, now I will have to smog it next year. Yeah, I can add the insert and change the tune, but if it likely will pass with a tune and no insert, that is the way I'll leave it. I'll add the tune tomorrow, and hopefully never have cause to change it. thanks, input? edman

As far as I know the Airaid CAI is CARB legal for 05-06 and 07-09 is pending approval. So, you should be fine to pass with that intake. Now, with a Bama tune and the insert removed, I don't see why anyone would find out, without actually taking the intake apart and looking. Other than that, there really isn't any signs that your Mustang has an aftermarket tune. This is assuming you run a Bama Street or Performance tune during the tests, since they keep the rear O2 sensors active. So, you should be good to go in theory.

The best thing to do is talk to a few different shops and see what their inspection process is. Like already mentioned, you may be able to find a place that will do Pre-inspections. That would be the best situation.

Good luck!

Shane
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I just did emissions with a JLT CAI, Bama tune, and Pypes catback in California. Said it was running cleaner than a lot of the cars that come through there. They did mention something about needing a number for the air filter though, I don't recall exactly what it was because they passed it anyways.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I just did my emissions and had to bring in the EO for my supercharger and remove my Moroso catch can because it did not pass the visual EGR.