Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark Plug Change, CAI, 91+ Octane Gas

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
vistabluevert

Default Spark Plug Change, CAI, 91+ Octane Gas

After reading many threads about the 2-piece spark plugs, I'm seriously debating replacing the plugs per the Ford TSB. I'm the original owner, 2007 convertible, 26,500 miles. At 11,000 miles, I installed a Ford Racing CAI, have been running a Ford Racing tune, and using 91+ octane gas (usually Shell brand). I understand that carbon builds upon the shield of the Motorcraft plugs which may cause them to stick to the cylinder head. When removing the plugs, due to the poor 2-piece design, the plugs have a tendency to break.

Okay, here's my question. What effect, if any does, the CAI, FR tune, and higher octane gas have on carbon build-up? Does it tend to promote carbon build up? Does it tend to inhibit carbon build up? Or nothing at all? I'd like to know what to expect, as I won't attempt this "fun" little project if the CAI, tune, gas, tend to promote the problem. I plan to keep the car for a quite a while longer (did anyone notice how much MRSP has gone up in the last 5 years?), and I'm figuring that if I put this off, I will seriously regret not having tackled this issue sooner. Thanks in advance for your views.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

At 26.5 K miles you probably won't have a big problem. Just follow the procedure and TAKE YOUR TIME. Get some high temp nickle anti seize (this is what Ford recommends) and lightly coat just the shield down to say 1/4" from the business end, so you won't get it on the electrodes. Do not apply to threads. Use a good penetrant, loosen plug just a tiny bit to let the penetrant wick down and give it some time to work. I have read it is a good idea to remove the plugs with a torque wrench and not to exceed 30 ft. lbs while removing. If it takes this much, let the penetrant work some more. Good luck. What plugs are you going to put back in? If the worst does happen, get the Lisle tool. They say it works great. I doubt the mods you mentioned have any effect on the problem.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 12-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Follow the TSB using a torque wrench. I was over 65k miles and had no issues at all using PB Blaster first to break the carbon down.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
vistabluevert

What plugs are you going to put back in?
Thanks for the posts. I have a torque wrench and planned to use it. As to the plugs, I will probably install new Motorcraft plugs. I've read that Champion makes a one-piece plug, but they are more expensive. Hopefully the anti seize will have done its job the next time it's time to replace the plugs. I am open to suggestions, however.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Use Autolite HT 1's. As for the gas, intake, and tune. This should actually aid you in fighting build up. Shell is well-known a a high-detergent fuel which means more cleaning of the cylinders. Additionally, most tunes for NA do not run as rich as the factory tune so I would expect less build up from that alone. Like they said above , use a torque wrench and PB blaster and its easy to do.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

champion makes a redesigned plug but its expensive
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM
vistabluevert

Originally Posted by JCON
Use Autolite HT 1's.
Why do you recommend the Autolite plugs over Motorcraft?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vistabluevert
Why do you recommend the Autolite plugs over Motorcraft?
Autolite=Motorcraft
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Autolite branded plugs were $1 cheaper locally and everyone else I know uses them when they replace the old style Motorcraft's.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

autolites are made in china though and China=crap. I was so mad when I saw made in china on my msd blasters I emailed them and everything telling them I will never buy another product from them again. As soon as these coils go Im getting the steeda ones

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change, CAI, 91+ Octane Gas