Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New Mustang owner looking for help in Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM
GoldRsh

Default New Mustang owner looking for help in Modifications

Hi all,

I recently bought my first mustang about a year ago. 2010 Mustang GT Sunset Gold. I have not done any modifications to it yet but I what to start small projects on it (Also new to upgrading cars). I originally wanted to do my exhaust first but after reading reviews, majority of people say that you will get minimal hp gain with just replacing the exhaust. I have however, just bought a pype-bomb axle-back muffler delete system (http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypebo...back-0510.html). Will be installing it within the next few days.

My question is, what should I tackle first as to see gains in hp like CAI, Cams, Headers (if required), tuner, and I'm sure there are plenty of other mods that I am not familiar with that will help increase my mustangs hp.

Hope to get some valuable feedback and learn a lot from this thread.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Welcome, congrats on the car. Just giving you a friendly heads up, this is not a "tech" topic so it may get moved.

I had the pypebombs on my 06 with Lt headers and it sounded incredible.

Search around and you'll find alot of information. But I personally I'll give you a few recommendations, since I'm in a good mood, lol.

Figure out a plan for the car first. Don't buy parts youl have to replace in the future, think ahead. With that Said if you want power go FI. If that's not an option then start with some bolt ons. Cai/tune, underdrive pullies, cmdp, gears. Get a set of lcas to help your launch, an a pair of drag radials. Right there with good driving that's a mid 12 second car. Headers won't do much for bolt on power, but they pair well with cams.

What is your goal for the car?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

1st thing to do that will save you money and headaches in the long run is what's your plan? Are you gonna leave it all motor? Going to go SC or turbo?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the MustangForums and congrats on your new Mustang! The best upgrades I've found start with a custom tune. Even on a stock car you'll notice increased throttle response, and more power in your overall powerband. Plus, if you go with a Bama SF3 tuner, you'll be enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program. This mean you'll get a free tune adjustments for all of your future bolt-on mods.

Aside from a custom tune, I would figure out what you want to do with the car. This way you can work towards an end goal and save yourself the most money possible.

Let me know if you have more questions about our Bama tuners or any other AM product. I would be happy to help!

Shane
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Bolt them Pype Bombs on, you'll love them!

Then CAI/Tune
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/7834395-post3.html

Here is an old post that one day I will get around to updating with much better information but it's a good start.

No such thing as cheap horsepower but best bang for your buck is an intake, tuner, and gears.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Yep, CAI/Tune first, and then underdrive pullies (if you don't plan on doing a blower in the future), and rear end gears (but have a good shop install and warranty it, gear installation is easy to go bad, we're talking clearances in the thousandths of an inch)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM
GoldRsh

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I'm excited to put my pype-bomb exhaust on, however my mustang is not my winter vehicle, so it will be put into storage for a few months (Calling for snow next week in Ohio, but maybe it will hold off and I'll be able to drive the stang a bit longer before storing it). As to what I want to get out of my vehicle, I'm not looking to supe it up for drag racing, I just want to be able to increase the hp in between the 2000 - 6000 RPM range.

What are your guys opinion on SC or Turbo? Disadvantages vs Advantages?

I want to get a base dyno done to see where my mustang is stock. Always like where I start out from. I know Ford advertises that it produces 315 HP, I'm assuming that is at the block and not rwhp.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's the tuner I'd recommend. (same one I'm running on my own Mustang)

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...-xcal-sf3.html

Also, suspension upgrades are nice!

A mild drop like this is PERFECT on a 2010 GT:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html