MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Whats the problem with accel coils? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/686540-whats-the-problem-with-accel-coils.html)

DTMR 12-12-2012 07:40 AM

Whats the problem with accel coils?

I was just wondering what the backlash about accel coils are? I keep hearing tat they are bad but why? They are american made coils. I was just wondering because I will never buy msd again now that I know its china crap, I will probably go with steeda coils if they crap out on me. So whats wrong with the accel ones?

RedFire281 12-12-2012 10:16 AM

I don't think there is a backlash against Accel COPs in particular. The issue is that aftermarket coils have not proven to be any better in most applications than the OEM. For the cost, IMO you're better off replacing coils as needed with stock off-the-shelf.

moosestang 12-12-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by RedFire281 (Post 8110198)
I don't think there is a backlash against Accel COPs in particular. The issue is that aftermarket coils have not proven to be any better in most applications than the OEM. For the cost, IMO you're better off replacing coils as needed with stock off-the-shelf.

The access cops have a high failure rate. One or more of mine just quit working, no code, just a wet spark plug. I put the stock coils in, same plugs, it ran perfect.

Don't take my word for it, just google access coils suck.

Who told you the accels are American made.

DTMR 12-12-2012 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 8110224)
The access cops have a high failure rate. One or more of mine just quit working, no code, just a wet spark plug. I put the stock coils in, same plugs, it ran perfect.

Don't take my word for it, just google access coils suck.

Who told you the access are American made.

Ohh okay wow because a customer at our shop just had them installed on his firebird and the box said made in USA

Derf00 12-12-2012 01:18 PM

coils and TB, two items ford did very well on and none of the aftermarkets can seem to match on performance or reliability.

Aftermarket coils are the about as useful to performance for these cars as a sticker is IMO.

DTMR 12-12-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8110310)
coils and TB, two items ford did very well on and none of the aftermarkets can seem to match on performance or reliability.

Aftermarket coils are the about as useful to performance for these cars as a sticker is IMO.

that i have to disagree with because running more fuel is best with a stronger spark and my gas mileage did go up since i changed my coils and plugs

retfr8flyr 12-12-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DTMR (Post 8110473)
that i have to disagree with because running more fuel is best with a stronger spark and my gas mileage did go up since i changed my coils and plugs

New plugs would lead to a little better mileage but the coils didn't do anything. This has been done to death and no one has shown any recorded, repeatable improvement with after market coils.

Earl

DTMR 12-12-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr (Post 8110478)
New plugs would lead to a little better mileage but the coils didn't do anything. This has been done to death and no one has shown any recorded, repeatable improvement with after market coils.

Earl

where did you get the wilwood rear brakes?

moosestang 12-12-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DTMR (Post 8110277)
Ohh okay wow because a customer at our shop just had them installed on his firebird and the box said made in USA

It's possible they are assembled in the US, but I don't think they are made here. Even the stock coils are made in China.

I've been using the msd coils for over 1 year, I think. I got about 1 year out of the accels. My accel coils look like they started to swell on the top of the coil.

retfr8flyr 12-12-2012 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by DTMR (Post 8110480)
where did you get the wilwood rear brakes?

I got them from a member on another forum about 5 years ago.

Earl