Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Way to make 500 to the wheels with a 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
crownaviation

Here is the ad for the last parts lot I had for sale and included everything but the manifold and tune... everything including upgrades like ported blower and "super high flow" ported + port matched elbow, GT500 dual pumps/harness/dual fpdms, and a Steeda 114mm CAI.

A step above the "basic" install and plenty room to grow if using a forged motor. Right now I think there is a guy with over 20k miles on his already and going strong, not one problem. The Eaton is IMO the most reliable FI poweradders there is... there is a reason Ford and other OEM manufacturers use it. Perfect for a street car with occasional track outings

This is a list of everything I have and what you will find this stuff for if you spend a TON of time and come across these deals. I would bet I spend more time searching for deals on parts than anyone else on here lol. I had planned on doing a local install for a customer but unfortunate circumstances changed those plans. So, rather than wait for another local install I would like to recover some of the money I have invested in parts. Shipping is what can really drive up the price of parts and I am willing to make someone a hell of a deal on this stuff.

I will not part out this kit but will consider selling it with different blower, fuel system and CAI options (those are easy to sell at these prices). I will wait for a little while to see if those items are needed as a whole kit.

Sorry, this was copied from my Excel spread sheet so it is awkward

DOB PARTS (normal prices of this stuff and do not include shipping unless noted. You will not likely find this stuff individually for less)

Ported GT500 Blower/matched elbow Has about 5K miles on blower no issues!

CAI (steeda 114mm) Steeda 555-3135 ($350 new) Excellent condition low miles

GT500 60mm TB with electronics Excellent condition, no messing with swapping your gt parts to this TB

GT500 Dual Fuel pumps w/harness/fdpm Have everything you need will support over 600 RWHP safely and my top pick on pumps if you can afford it

47lb FRPP GT500 injectors NEW IN BOX Plenty for up to 600 RWHP depending on pumps

1 step colder spark plugs 1800 miles on plugs for 05-08 heads. 2700 miles on the 08 up plugs

GT500 Heat Exchanger and brackets shipped Near new condition, low miles

GT500 Heat Exchanger Pump Near new condition, low miles

GT500 Degass bottle and cap shipped Excellent condition

GT500 pigtail for HE pump New In Box

IAT Sensor and pigtail New In Box

GT500 SC to manifold gasket New In Box

Extra tensioner for Frankentensioner New In Box. Will modify for "frankentensioner"

2010 GT thermostat (needed for DOB manifold) New in Box

Thermostat gasket New In Box

Belt 100 miles on it and trimmed for the 6 rib kit. (I swapped to 8-rib)

(2) Extra 76mm smooth idlers Spare off my car

Longer tensioner bolts New In Box

3/4 to -12AN manifold fittings (2) New In Box

90 -12AN barb fittings (2) New In Box

Doorman fuel line adapter New In Box

1/4" + 1/2"manifold fittings New In Box

Supercharger oil (2) New In Box

All premium hose/fuel/vac lines New, never used, some trimmed to appx length. HE hose is Parker pushlock (expensive)

Add-a-circuit for SJB (HE pump) New In Box

Relay for HE pump $ Will throw in one but used.

Hose clamps New In Box

Vacuum caps New In Box

Heater core hose connector New In Box

EGR blockoff plate Fabricated, normally sell for $20-$30

Alt cable extension and lug This was on my first setup

Sealant for snout New

Sealant for fittings New

Anti-seize for spark plugs I will put some in a tube. I bought FordMotocraft for $48. Nickel based and Ford only sells a large expensive bottle

Wire Ties New

Electrical tape New

But splices New Have a assortment, should be more than you need.

Heat shrink tubing New

Wire for extensions $ New Have an assortment and should be more than you need.

$1875 shipped! SOLD!!!

Here is a link to the basic install. Detailed instructions are slowly being added and it really is easier than it looks. This is basically the same procedure for any of the PD blowers out there. Realatively basic tools found in most garages, and about medium skill level. I even have started to include pics for people like me lol. There really is a lot of support out there for it.

http://www.departmentofboost.com/vbu...he-DOB-install
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I will vouch for Jim, the porting of the blower costs $300-400 alone and with the gt500 pumps you will have way more fuel supply than you would need for a 450hp motor. He has been very helpful with all my requests about the D.O.B manifold.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
crownaviation

Originally Posted by Simon1
You can't just cut and paste it? Seems like info everyone would like to see.

I'll be honest, I'm skeptical. Whenever I see these cheaper kits for going FI they always seem to be a little short somewhere. I hope I'm wrong though. Cheap power is good and it just leads to more folks for me to compete with.
Posted it up. I was skeptical too at first lol. I did the inital install for right around $3500 minus tune. Some have done the whole thing for $3,000 with tune but it is rare. I did have a couple odds-n-ends laying around tho like wire, a few connectors, sealant and things like that. Most have come in just under $4,000 with tune and just a couple mods. I prefer to spend a little more up front as it is cheaper long term.. like CAI or any upgrade that would require a tune.

I am a HUGE fan of remote tuning now. I was overwhelmed with the idea at first and seemed too technical but like most things really is much of a challenge to get up and going. I am learning more and love datalogging. The up-front cost of remote tuning is at or less than Dyno tuning to boot. Subsequent tunes are cheap and often free.. A simple wideband, handheld and laptop are all that is needed. I bought a handheld for $200 shipped (SCT XP3), downloaded livelink gen 2 and already had my wideband installed. The firewire cable from VMP was like $20. My initial tune from Lito (Manuel) was $250 and was FAR superior to any of the big name dyno tunes I had in the past. It has been a wonderful experience thus far.

Tuning is required for most big mods out there so really that is hard to "include" in the price. Some kits do offer a canned tune, but that is FLIRTING WITH DISASTER IMO..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 PM
crownaviation

Meant is NOT much of a challenge to get the remote tuning setup lol.. Edit feature is a real nice thing..

Can I not edit cause I am new or is that just the way it is on this forum?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 PM
crownaviation

Originally Posted by obxdude018
I will vouch for Jim, the porting of the blower costs $300-400 alone and with the gt500 pumps you will have way more fuel supply than you would need for a 450hp motor. He has been very helpful with all my requests about the D.O.B manifold.
Thanks man! I sold that kit, just trying to give an idea on what is involved. I am building another kit as we speak and know some folks would rather just buy a complete setup rather than piece it together.

We are porting blowers right now and almost done with the "frankenblower" lol.

With my complete kit (minus manifold and tune) I am trying to offer a couple different options... ported blower, stock blower, upgraded CAI and stock intake.

For instance,, I am targeting a complete kit down to bolts, connectors etc for $1500 with: stock intake, BAP and stock blower (all still good for 450rwhp). That would get someone installed for $3500

Ported blower, GT500 pumps and harness/fpdm, upgraded CAI and all the bits and pieces for $2,000. Would bring the install to $4,000. Enought to support up to 600rwhp with pulleys and forged motor.

Of course, tune is seperate. If you remote tune then upgrades down the road are reasonable if not free depending on the situation. A dyno tune for every time you upgrade can drain the bank quick. I still swear by remote tuning tho.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I'm probably gonna go with Lito for my tuning, he has done work with the DOB so he has some understanding of it, plus I have heard nothing but positive stuff about his tunes. I used Justin at vmp for the engine swap tunes. However he can be difficult to get a hold of.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would agree with everything in your post except the HP estimate with injectors and pumps. 600rwhp won't happen without dual BAP and some bigger injectors.

But, that is one bad *** kit for around 4k.

Anything strange about the install?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
crownaviation

Originally Posted by Simon1
I would agree with everything in your post except the HP estimate with injectors and pumps. 600rwhp won't happen without dual BAP and some bigger injectors.

But, that is one bad *** kit for around 4k.

Anything strange about the install?
True, little lean on the gt500 pumps and those 47's in the list should be 60's at 600 and that will max out the gt500 pumps. I would discourage running above 85% duty cycle no matter what power level. I am not the biggest fan of BAP tho, especially on a dual pump system. Return setup or modified dual hat with either supercar pumps or 405's to be safe. Then you can also run E85 too. I run ID1000's but they are expensive.

When I got the kit I expected there to be issues somewhere. The only problem I had was with belt length as I missed the part about modding the tensioner stops. I just ran another 76mm pulley instead of the stock 90mm. I later went back and modded the stops.

The only surprise was that it went together so quick. I recieved the manifold on a Thursday afternoon and was driving the car that Saturday night. Drove the car from Wichita KS to Dallas TX on the stock tune on Sunday(with ZERO issues). Dyno tuned on Monday morning.

There are a few wires that need to be extended and the IAT sensor needs to be spliced in (like all kits). Other than that it is kinda like an big kid version of Leggo's lol. The biggest PITA IMO is the innercooler fittings as there is little room to angle them correctly but came up with a technique that solves that.

I have a few detailed instructions already posted and a few I am working on but have limited pics from my original install. I was in a hurry lol... had the manifold sent next day air to make the Dyno (was not cheap lol).

I was in on the initial buy and the third car up and running (including 909ssp's car that was featured in 5.0 mag). I had nothing to really go by like there is now and did not find it difficult even then.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So you ran a supercharger, with a different air intake I assume, on the stock engine tune and didn't even set a lean code? Or did you have the stock intake on?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 AM
crownaviation

Originally Posted by moosestang
So you ran a supercharger, with a different air intake I assume, on the stock engine tune and didn't even set a lean code? Or did you have the stock intake on?
Drove it all around town the night I finished the install, then 70mph for the 7hr trip or whatever it was. I made the trip with a JLT 110 CF intake, FRPP 47lb injectors, GT500 dual pumps/fpdm's, BBK LT's, and o/r x and only would get a code when I would accelerate too hard. If you do not get into boost the computer does fine, and yes I run a wideband etc... If I got around 3lbs of boost it would throw a code and burp a little, but still not enought load to hurt anything and it did not. I kept the RPM down below 4,000 and minimized any heavy load. Another guy (the first customer) ran his for a couple weeks making sure everything was good (no leaks etc) before he spent money on the dyno session. Not the place you want to have problems.

Car did just fine lol. WOT is where you could get into trouble, but the computer would go into limp mode before you can even get close.

Quick Reply: Best Way to make 500 to the wheels with a 4.6