Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

vortech winter woes...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default vortech winter woes...

Anyone here run an externally lubricated Vortech in the winter??

I just installed the Vortech V3 non-intercooled and having buyers remorse. Despite reading the install manual a month in advance and everything else.. the warning I got about winter usage was not until AFTER the install from their little pamphlet. Now, I have to tap into the oil pan and run externally lubed.

My question is, whats the difference between internally and externally lubed?? the oil is going to be just as cold internally or externally lubricated. Sure, it may heat up as the engine warms, but it's still going to be very cold on start up. I can use an engine block/or oil heater over night, but when I am parked at work for 8 hours or whatever, it'll just end up getting very cold again.

Its not the driving that kills the blower.. it's that start up when the oil is cold.

Now what? I'd hate to pull the blower every winter and re-install it every spring.. gonna be a big headache when the intercooler comes around and I have to do all this crap to it...

this sucks.

Does twin screws also have this issue?

cannot afford a beater, and no garage for storage...

what to do?!?!?!!?!?!?!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

-engine block heater would help, (extension cord at work)

-youre kind of sol without a heated garage. i just bought a beater to drive in the winter when the vortech and the rest of the parts are hiding from minnesota winters

-some guys have reported driving all winter without any problems on their vortech setups, so im not sure how much of a huge issue it really is
Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dude.. I am seriously just gonna pull the blower every winter and re-install it every spring. Very easy to do now, just time consuming. Gonna be a pain in the butt when I get that intercooler though...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
-engine block heater would help, (extension cord at work)

-youre kind of sol without a heated garage. i just bought a beater to drive in the winter when the vortech and the rest of the parts are hiding from minnesota winters

-some guys have reported driving all winter without any problems on their vortech setups, so im not sure how much of a huge issue it really is
lol the parking lot at work is about a 1/4 mile and park about half way in between.

I haven't heard of anyone driving with vortechs in the winter, I did not know to research this issue. should have made sure though. It gets freezing cold up here in alaska.. I know I shouldn't be driving the GT during the winter but I have no choice..
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=250564229586

problem solved?? get an external oil feed line, attach one of these suckers to the oil pan, add an additional 120v source under the hood, plug it in before parking over night or at work???
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

What's the issue of driving a vortech SL car in the winter? How cold is too cold?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

don't have the sheet with me, but anything below 25.. I think. The oil is too cold in the unit, when you go to crank it.. it destroys it (from my understanding)
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Damn, that's not good...lol
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
Damn, that's not good...lol
it does suck.. but there is hope!
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...erlands-2.html
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

well, I may have to use a 12 v nitrous heater. I'll end up using an extension cord, an possibly an extra battery located in the trunk.. not sure how long it'll last though, having to plug it in every day at work. At home I can just plug it in at my house. I am looking for one that can sit directly on the blower unit and not have to modify. The problem with some is that it might mess up the electronic connections around it. Better yet, I might just yank it for the winter.. this is ridiculous.. I wish I had some sort of warning before hand...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-28-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vortech winter woes...