Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05 GT Power loss issue-last resort asking for help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
With COPs OP would have to replace the harness (although breaks in the wires have happened). Our cars don't have spark plug wires that you're thinking of. Also, a misfire would certainly be detected if this were the case.
Good to know, I'll file that away, haven't had to deal with any of that on this car.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like your throttle body has taken a dump. That is the way they behave when we get a bad one.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

You checked spark and fuel. All was good.

So now that the basics are taken care of start with the intake system through the motor to the end of the exhaust. Since your husband has looked at the exhaust you are good there. I highly doubt it is a clogged air filter so I am aiming at the throttle body unit.

Since it is DBW and the electronics get worn over time it probably is having a hard time. I would test the throttle body DBW with a DVOM (Digital Volt OHM Meter)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Any way you can do a datalog? i think without seeing what the car is doing when it happens, you are just grasping at straws.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Any way you can do a datalog? i think without seeing what the car is doing when it happens, you are just grasping at straws.
Yep, datalogging is so informative and addictive. If you have a sct x3 and a laptop, then you can datalog. The free software from sct is very easy to use.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

how-to-data-log-your-mustang

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...an-sct-x-cal3/
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Stacie, you get it figured out?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Stacie

Red face 05 GT Power Loss issue-FINALLY A SOLUTION

Okay, I wanted to share because it is so unbelievably ridiculous what it turned out to be... Drum roll please!!!!

I had a bad ground to the ECM! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

SO, if anyone else has any issues where you absolutely want to pull all of your hair out, check all your grounds! I could kick my own rear end for not thinking about checking for any bad grounds...

I had followed the advice about doing a datalog-called American Muscle because during the datalog my laptop died and I didn't want to fry my X3 unplugging it from the car before it was back to the "program vehicle" main screen. He said it should be fine.

Then, just because, I asked him (Zach at American Muscle-my NEW HERO!) if he had ever heard of a car behaving like it was absolutely possessed with no rational explanation for the behavior when everything else had been looked at. He said to check if the water drainage tray in the cabin filter compartment was flooded and clogged with leaves / debris because if it was and water was sitting on wires it could cause a BAD GROUND.

Well, I did check that but that wasn't it. However, decided to check all the other grounds and found a bad ground. Problem solved! I'm so mad at myself for not thinking of that!!

Anyways, I'm hoping that posting this can help some other poor soul who is ready to take a bat to their 'stang!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Congrats on being back in action!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

Grats! Always feels like you slayed a dragon once you get a tough one like that.
Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 05 GT Power loss issue-last resort asking for help!