Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pa performance alternator and whipple supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Pa performance alternator and whipple supercharger?

First, has anyone bought a PA performance alternator lately? There were a few people getting damaged alternators due to poor packaging. Anyone know if they've fixed the packing or lack there of?

Second, has anyone with a whipple changed the alternator? I can't remember if it will come out the front and clear the water crossover. I remember laying it in the engine valley and pulling it through before installing the intake manifold.

My stock alternator is still working, but since it's 7 years old and 44,444 miles on it, I'm going to replace it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Dammit! The black powder coated one is out of stock!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My 06 still has the stock unit in there... 26k miles. Hoping to not jinx myself but I wouldnt be surprised if i started seeing the sick alternator symptoms soon. So Moose your gonna replace it as preventative maintenance?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I don't think you're gonna get it out of there without removing the coolant crossover. If you do, please let me know. It's bad enough I have to remove the entire 10 rib kit to access the accessory belt. Not looking forward to changing my alternator.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I got a blue powder coated one directly from PA and the packaging was fine, no damage at all.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I don't think you're gonna get it out of there without removing the coolant crossover. If you do, please let me know. It's bad enough I have to remove the entire 10 rib kit to access the accessory belt. Not looking forward to changing my alternator.
It looks like it will come out if you remove the mounting brackets. That does suck about the 10 rib kit. I guess there is always a trade off.

Yes, I'm going to replace it as preventative maintenance. Somewhere areound 50k miles seems to be the magic number.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
I got a blue powder coated one directly from PA and the packaging was fine, no damage at all.
Did you upgrade the power wire?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I did get the upgraded wire but I haven't installed the alternator yet.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Now I'm wondering if I need to swap the stock pulley to the new alternator. the Pa performance comes with a standard pulley and ours have a clutch pulley. I wonder why they did not use the oem style pulley.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Cost savings, a clutch pulley could add $40-$60 to the alternator, they give you the option of buying the clutch pulley puller for less than $20, and probably if you call Kevin he can give you the option of just having it ship with a brand new clutch pulley... and get your PC black, you might as well wait for it since you are currently OK with your current alternator, get what you want.

Quick Reply: Pa performance alternator and whipple supercharger?