Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Flowmaster Outlaw Mufflers

Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
You are right, out of all the axle-backs I've heard, Outlaws are one of the best sounding. I didn't mind the drone when I was driving around by myself, but if the wife and I took the car out for a long ride, it became annoying. It made it hard to carry on a conversation and it would drone right around 65mph, which is the speed limit for most of our highways around here. I would start running 70 mph + or gearing down to 5th to avoid the drone. I could probably deal with it myself but the wife is with me most of the time. If you don't mind a little bit of drone, go for it. They sound really good.
Do you have any idea how good they sound with an O/R x pipe on them? I want loud but not to the point where it will get annoying. That kinda scares me having drone that bad around 65... Do you have any suggestions of a muffler that doesn't have bad drone with a combo of an O/R x pipe? It just seems like to me that I'm going to have to remove my cats to get the desired loudness I want from my stang. As of now I have the JBA catback system and there's no drone but it is too quiet and has like a rattle/pop when I rev it up and it's annoying.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I went with Stainless Works. No drone at all. Borla is supposed to have a great sound with no drone. There is a thread in the mustang video section with an outlaw and o/r x combo. Guy named Slowbra302 put up some good videos of his car you should watch. It's the titled "GoPro" If you just want an aggressive axle back with no drone. IMO, get Borla s-type. If you want a great sounding cat-back with no drone, go with Stainless works retro chambered exhaust. Terry at Team Beefcake Racing can hook you up on the Stainless Works set up.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
I went with Stainless Works. No drone at all. Borla is supposed to have a great sound with no drone. There is a thread in the mustang video section with an outlaw and o/r x combo. Guy named Slowbra302 put up some good videos of his car you should watch. It's the titled "GoPro" If you just want an aggressive axle back with no drone. IMO, get Borla s-type. If you want a great sounding cat-back with no drone, go with Stainless works retro chambered exhaust. Terry at Team Beefcake Racing can hook you up on the Stainless Works set up.
The borla stingers are a bit steep at 550 on american muscle. I've been looking at the bassani mufflers american muscle has with the pypes o/r x pipe.

ALso that video you are talking about I can't find. Can you please provide the link?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/must...new-gopro.html
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

If you want to eliminate drone get a mid mounted muffler system. The Pypes Mid-muffler system sounds amazing! Even better than the outlaws in my opinion. The cat back system is the very close to the outlaws. Sound clip is in the link, search YouTube also there are some clips with off road pipes and it sounds deadly!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...r-catback.html

Last edited by Justinsmt88; 02-10-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

Here's what the pypes mid muffler system sounds like with an off road x-pipe. Hope this helps!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

So that sounds super amazing! Think it may just be what I get. Cuz I was about to break down and get the cat back borla stingers with the pypes o/r x pipe...

So my question is since this is a mid muffler system? Does that mean the mufflers are where the o/r x pipe would be installed? I'm a noob when it comes to exhaust systems lol. Also what is the difference between this setup and the pype bomb mid muffler catback system? Could I just have the resonators taken out of the tips and have an o/r x pipe also? I bet that system would sound stupid amazing lol. I always hear garbage about pypes products
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

The mufflers are right before the pipes go up over the axle. And as to the pype bomb cat back there isn't much difference they just kind of bring the sound level down a bit. I ran pype bombs with a o/r x all last summer and while they sound mean a hell the drone was horrible.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Alright well the pypes mid muffler system it is then! I see that they have issues with making them fit? So how much of a bitch will it be for the exhaust shop to put them on? My trouble is finding an exhaust shop who will take my cats off for this o/r x pipe. I was debating on buying a cut and clamp x pipe and having them gut my cats out or just having them take them off all together.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

I had no problem getting the x-pipe to fit and I did it on jack stands in about an hour. I'd install that yourself because unless you know the person whos installing it they are not legally allowed to install it without cats. As for the mid muffler system the fit issues have to do with the hangers on the tips they are hardly ever perfect and can easily be bent to the right angle to get them where you want them. Also since the cat back system is in multiple prices I'd have them weld the mufflers to the pipes. There are two reasons for this 1. To stop rotation of the pipes 2. To prevent leaks. If not you'll have 10 clamps to deal with. I had my o/r x welded together so now I only have the stock number of clamps, two that attach the x to the mid pipe and two that connect the mid pipe to the tips.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster Outlaw Mufflers