Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Warranty issues and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Default Warranty issues and exhaust

Alright guys, so it is getting time to order that exhaust and today I called the car sales man I bought my car from. I asked about what I needed to stay away from on the exhaust system on my car and the first words out of his mouth was do NOT remove the catalytic converters because it will void your warranty. Immediately I was like DAMNIT!

He told me next to get high flow cats but I don't know how much more that will help the sound?

I've been looking at a few options now, I really want to stay away from drone but a little bit doesn't bother me at all as long as it isn't at highway speeds like 55-70... I've currently been looking at the pypes muffler delete and the pypes electric exhaust cut out. My buddy has it on his camaro and it sounds great. If I got the pypes muffler delete I could get the high flow cats also and I feel like I could achieve the loudness I want from that system. Then I guess I can get a cut and clamp x pipe to go with it also.

Let me know opinions please! I'm trying to keep this under 650 price range.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Get a good cat-back system, hi-flow cats are a waste of money factory units flow very well.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gaines09
Alright guys, so it is getting time to order that exhaust and today I called the car sales man I bought my car from. I asked about what I needed to stay away from on the exhaust system on my car and the first words out of his mouth was do NOT remove the catalytic converters because it will void your warranty. Immediately I was like DAMNIT!

He told me next to get high flow cats but I don't know how much more that will help the sound?

I've been looking at a few options now, I really want to stay away from drone but a little bit doesn't bother me at all as long as it isn't at highway speeds like 55-70... I've currently been looking at the pypes muffler delete and the pypes electric exhaust cut out. My buddy has it on his camaro and it sounds great. If I got the pypes muffler delete I could get the high flow cats also and I feel like I could achieve the loudness I want from that system. Then I guess I can get a cut and clamp x pipe to go with it also.

Let me know opinions please! I'm trying to keep this under 650 price range.
MEH, just get the off road pipe and keep your stock H pipe if you need warranty work. That's what I'm doing. If something happens and I need warranty work, I'll just have to spend a couple hours under the car, and BAM just like new.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

With the off road x you'll need a tune to turn off the O2's. I've heard that cutouts on the 3V engine sounds pretty poor.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

I forgot to add in that I'm in the military and live in the barracks so access to tools and having the time to do it is pretty much slim to none.

I guess I'm going to have to go with pipes high flow cats and the slp loudmouths..

Or just get the pypes muffler delete with a cut and clamp x pipe.

So the pypes electric exhaust cut out sucks with sound quality?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to add in that I'm in the military and live in the barracks so access to tools and having the time to do it is pretty much slim to none.

I guess I'm going to have to go with pipes high flow cats and the slp loudmouths..

Most bases have a "hobby shop," I know my joint reserve base has a hobby shop, and considering how small our base is, I'd be willing to bet your base has one. Where are you stationed?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Yea it does have a hobby shop I'm pretty sure. I'm on fort gordon..

But the thing is what if my transmission or something goes out and I'm stuck with an off road x pipe on my car? I work everyday all day lol. Plus I have no storage to put a spare stock H pipe in lol.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Stay away from Pypes. Their products have always been medicore but lately it seems their Customer Service has completely gone out the window. Just do a search for Pypes on the forum, you'll see.

Most of their stuff needs modificaiton to fit as in it's not a direct swap with the existing exhaust.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

As to the warranty thing.

There is a law that was created, that says for a dealer to void warranty work due to an aftermarket modification, they have to prove it was the modification that caused the issue.

Got an O/R X and your transmission syncros go bad? You're fine.

Got that new shiny 5.0, toss a tune on it and pop #8? You're out of luck.

Also, the O/R midpipe with the muffler deletes out back will be insanely loud. Like "HEY LOOK AT ME" loud all the time. I'm not sure what Georgia's laws are, but if removing cats is a no-no, you're going to draw a lot of attention to yourself with that setup.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

I didn't say I was going to do an o/r mid pipe with the muffler deletes. I was just going to keep everything stock.

I was saying that setup with everything stock exhaust wise would be about the only way to achieve the exhaust loudness I'm looking for...

Does anyone know anything about the roush extreme cat back exhaust on AM? All the video's i've heard on youtube it is too quiet with everything stock. I'm sure it sounds amazing with the cats off though. But unfortunately that can't happen with my car right now.

Quick Reply: Warranty issues and exhaust