Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is like hitting a wall at high RPM's...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Motor mounts will help, but they add a lot of noise/vibration to the cabin that I didn't like. the Che torque limiters will fix the problem, unless it's indeed your 3rd gear synchro. Does it grind or just feel like 3rd isn't there? I thought a bad synchro would grind.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Is your clutch stock?

Assuming it's not the clutch, you can either get the CHE torque limiters, which I have, or go with the MGW, which is supposed to be the best.

You should be shifting to thired with the open palm of your hand, not gripping it like a fighter pilot. Same goes for shifting to 4th, use just your four fingers pulling straight back, open hand. When you grip it like the stick in the fighter plane, you end up missing gears or hitting second instead of 4th! I have no problem hitting 3rd with the technique below and the hurst shifter + torque limiters.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Im..._Shifting.html
Awesome Moosestang, I will look up CHE torque limiters and learn. Thank you. Yea when I shift to 3rd racing at high rpms I always push it forward like you're saying using everything I got. Yea clutch is stock clutch
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Wow! Your strooong!!!!!

Lmfao
Thank you Drew that was very helpful. But I already know this!!!

Your spelling and proper use of words was also tops. I wanted to make sure that I made clear that strength is not going to shift this thing into 3rd. Something is wrong

I will look forward to arm wrestling you, even if it's just in my mind lol

...Beat it

Thanks to everyone helping
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Motor mounts will help, but they add a lot of noise/vibration to the cabin that I didn't like. the Che torque limiters will fix the problem, unless it's indeed your 3rd gear synchro. Does it grind or just feel like 3rd isn't there? I thought a bad synchro would grind.
btw...yea fingers open, palm pushing forward and everything I got with the clutch fully disengaged. Thank you for the link btw.

No grinding at all. It's a wall. Like a metal rod is between me and getting into 3rd. None of my friends can smash or push or thrust it into 3rd when we are doing 5000+rpms either

Does that help?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Awesome...I see others have this problem. Below is an extremely short thread about the CHE torque limiters. I can tell you this: I hear my transmission moving or clunking around all the time. Not often. But enough. That's another good indication I could use this product huh? I'm starting to think you nailed it Man.

How easy is it to install this? Anyone have a quick opinion on basically what you need and how difficult?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-limiter.html
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

I found the install, read reviews....this is totally gonna help!

THANK YOU
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

I dont lnow if you have worked with American Muscle before, but those guys really know there stuff!
I'm sure if you had the right guy on the phone and described the situation in depth they could probably diagnose the problem AND at the same time present some solutions and pricing to you.
Just my .02
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2009 Eleanor
I dont lnow if you have worked with American Muscle before, but those guys really know there stuff!
I'm sure if you had the right guy on the phone and described the situation in depth they could probably diagnose the problem AND at the same time present some solutions and pricing to you.
Just my .02
Thank you 2009 Eleanor. Yea I love AM and Brenspeed. I'll call em both tomorrow to ask. I just read an install and lots of peoples experiences with the CHE Kmember brace with torque limiters. These manual trans cars are known I see to have some good moving around of the transmission. I mean I hear mind move around very often. I always wondered about that. Missing 3rd gear or even others is very common and this product tightens up your whole drivetrain set up. I know I need this. Can't wait to grab it and put it on. Great reviews of this product. Makes it feel so tight, stronger, more power to the ground or more responsive and virtually no missed shifts unless driver error. Im down with this product!

I don't think I can post pics yet. Check out these pics and discussion. Looks and sounds glorious!!!

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...cs-review.html
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

If an 4 year old girl can not shift it into gear then there is something wrong here. However TWICE you have mentioned how big and strong you are. So I just couldn't resist sorry! Now I have the hurst shifter and its super notchy as you have noticed, once or twice I have had this same problem but at low rpms. I hope it's not a synchro in the tranny for you. Looks like your figuring it out tho def call American muscle or Brenspeed and see what they have to say. Also just try and make sure all the bolts and brakets underneath the car and in the center console are tight this can also be an issue just because of a very slightly loose but or bolt. So check all the linkages and try and shake them around and just give them an extra tighten down to be sure. There is a Allen screw inside the car and underneath should be a 9mm and 14mm if I remember corectly.... Lmk how it works out
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
If an 4 year old girl can not shift it into gear then there is something wrong here. However TWICE you have mentioned how big and strong you are. So I just couldn't resist sorry! Now I have the hurst shifter and its super notchy as you have noticed, once or twice I have had this same problem but at low rpms. I hope it's not a synchro in the tranny for you. Looks like your figuring it out tho def call American muscle or Brenspeed and see what they have to say. Also just try and make sure all the bolts and brakets underneath the car and in the center console are tight this can also be an issue just because of a very slightly loose but or bolt. So check all the linkages and try and shake them around and just give them an extra tighten down to be sure. There is a Allen screw inside the car and underneath should be a 9mm and 14mm if I remember corectly.... Lmk how it works out
Thank you, I will check those. Appreciate that.

Quick Reply: Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is like hitting a wall at high RPM's...HELP!