Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

HP/Torque gain estimate

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Default HP/Torque gain estimate

Hey guys, I'm bored at work so I figured I'd ask an unnecessary question.

I'm wondering what HP/Torque figures you guys think I'll be able to pull on a dyno. I only have a few mods, so I don't imagine it will be too difficult to guesstimate...

~MAC Ceramic LT Headers, MAC O/R Prochamber, Bassani oval race mid-mufflers, and deleted stock mufflers: You guys have probably seen the comparo in the magazine where this combination made an increase of 42hp and 37lb.ft. of torque. However, that was on a s/c example, and mine isn't. I'm assuming I won't see gains that big? And I doubt I'll gain much more than a few hp or "torques" with the mid-mufflers and deleted stock mufflers.

~AirAid Race CAI and BAMA tune: AM's dyno test showed a 35hp and 30lb.ft. of torque increase over a bone stock S197 GT. At least this I can expect to be pretty accurate, give or take a little.

Now, were my example s/c, I would potentially see an increase of 80hp and 70lb.ft. of torque. However, mine isn't, so I have no clue. Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

-Dylan
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI & good tune on the 4.6L yields 15-25 RWHP depending on a number of variables but I've never seen a CAI & tune on the 4.6L yield more than about 25 RWHP. As far as torque that's even more difficult to call.

Your headers and O/R are your only power gainers there and I'll generously estimate about 15 RWHP.

So, with a lot of luck, you're putting down about 305 RWHP max (265 typical stock + 25 + 15). But I'll say 300 real-life depending on a well operated dyno and 290 on a stingy dyno.

Torque is really tough to pin down. A tune change that can add or delete 5 RWHP can add or delete 3 times that for torque.

Last edited by Nuke; 03-03-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb
Hey guys, I'm bored at work so I figured I'd ask an unnecessary question.

I'm wondering what HP/Torque figures you guys think I'll be able to pull on a dyno. I only have a few mods, so I don't imagine it will be too difficult to guesstimate...

~MAC Ceramic LT Headers, MAC O/R Prochamber, Bassani oval race mid-mufflers, and deleted stock mufflers: You guys have probably seen the comparo in the magazine where this combination made an increase of 42hp and 37lb.ft. of torque. However, that was on a s/c example, and mine isn't. I'm assuming I won't see gains that big? And I doubt I'll gain much more than a few hp or "torques" with the mid-mufflers and deleted stock mufflers.

~AirAid Race CAI and BAMA tune: AM's dyno test showed a 35hp and 30lb.ft. of torque increase over a bone stock S197 GT. At least this I can expect to be pretty accurate, give or take a little.

Now, were my example s/c, I would potentially see an increase of 80hp and 70lb.ft. of torque. However, mine isn't, so I have no clue. Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

-Dylan

Dylan,

I would expect you to be anywhere from 290-300rwhp with your current mods and a Bama custom tune. This would be on a Dynojet with SAE correction, other dynos may display more or less power.

Check our 2007 GT equipped with an Airaid Race intake, Pypes O/R Xpipe, Pype Bomb Axle-back, and of course a Bama custom tune. You should see very similar results with your Mustang!

Shane

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

he must be disappointed since he hasnt been back
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
he must be disappointed since he hasnt been back
Or he has a life...!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Or he has a life...!

You mean single.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
You mean single.
If so, I stand even more corrected: A life AND money...
Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Lol! I just managed to install the exhaust a couple days ago. Got my tune in today. I've gotta say, I sure do feel the difference in acceleration after the exhaust! More top end for sure. Doing around an 8 second 30-100mph time. And, of course, it sounds EPIC. Great results
Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If so, I stand even more corrected: A life AND money...
Psshhht, when I was single I had no money.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Bob, You can see the power levels in my sig or in my thread here.

While their is torque loss down low, it's not as dramatic as my charts indicate because they started the dyno at different speeds.

The exhaust adds a good amount of horsepower in the peak gain but the non-peak is where you feel the most. I don't have any air intake, just 4.10 gears and exhaust. I don't have a performance tune on the car and it was run on 87 octane. SAE correction of course.

Read my thread.

Quick Reply: HP/Torque gain estimate