Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I'm gonna buy Flowmaster Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
jbt56

OP, you will want to check your state laws before removing your mufflers. In most states, that is illegal, no matter how loud or quiet the car is. Your Mustang will get very loud with no mufflers, as well as really raspy, with a lot of popping, etc. In my somewhat experienced opinion, no mufflers will make the car sound like a 50-year-old farm truck. Other opinions will vary.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Get the pype bombs... Heard them in person, and with stock everything else it's a nice deep rumble with minimum popping. It's what is going on mine probably.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
txcharlie
1st Gear Member

I had the outlaws on my 12 GT. Sounded great around town, but the drone at highway/interstate speeds was more than I could bear. Sold them a couple months later. Your 4.6 may not have the same issue with drone, but they are very loud no matter you put them on.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Maxcorpious

So you guys think I should get these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypebo...back-0510.html
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I have a used set of these I'll sell for $125 + shipping. I can get pics of them this weekend if you want.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxcorpious
So you guys think I should get these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypebo...back-0510.html
Here's my advice.

Do you EVER see yourself doing headers? If so, the volume increase from going from the stock midpipe to one with hi-flows, or catless, will be major. If you go with muffler deletes now, I can almost promise you once you do headers you'll be shopping for different mufflers.

If you really do want the deletes, just have a muffler shop do them and save yourself a bunch of money. $300 for 1.5ft of pipe per side is ludicrous.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 AM
Maxcorpious

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Here's my advice.

Do you EVER see yourself doing headers? If so, the volume increase from going from the stock midpipe to one with hi-flows, or catless, will be major. If you go with muffler deletes now, I can almost promise you once you do headers you'll be shopping for different mufflers.

If you really do want the deletes, just have a muffler shop do them and save yourself a bunch of money. $300 for 1.5ft of pipe per side is ludicrous.
You're right... $300 for some pipe is crazy!

Yeah, I want to replace the headers and the entire exhaust. So that makes sense... I should just wait until I have enough money to get headers, pipe, and mufflers. I'll look around for headers and stuff. Now, that being said... if I remove the cat, will that pass inspection in PA? I want to make sure I can still get my car inspected. Thanks for all your tips, much appreciated... I'm new to all this stuff.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
rogan999
1st Gear Member

I was looking at headers myself but have not been able to decide..

Marky82 - I was looking at getting that exact set for my 07. Did you have those installed? Why did you take them off? How used?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxcorpious
You're right... $300 for some pipe is crazy!

Yeah, I want to replace the headers and the entire exhaust. So that makes sense... I should just wait until I have enough money to get headers, pipe, and mufflers. I'll look around for headers and stuff. Now, that being said... if I remove the cat, will that pass inspection in PA? I want to make sure I can still get my car inspected. Thanks for all your tips, much appreciated... I'm new to all this stuff.
Yes, you can still get the car to pass but it takes a few tricks, and first and foremost is to know the guy thats inspecting.

There are 2 parts to the inspection, visual, and the OBDII check.

Visual doesn't need explanation, but this is where knowing a guy or $20 could come in handy.

The OBDII check is the one thats harder to pass, but its very possible. Lets cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

The pypes m-80 mid muffler catback is cheaper and sounds amazing without the drone. Check the clips on AM!

Quick Reply: I'm gonna buy Flowmaster Exhaust