Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine stutter, hesitation at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Coil On Plug. Do a forum search for COP issues. Should have a few threads show up.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
cschoening09

my money is on a cop. I had so many issues with these on my 01 gt. the cases vary so much though. some misfire at idle. some misfire at WOT, and some miss under heavy load up hills and such in 5th gear like mine did.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM
zinda

Post Put your old CAI back on it!

First thing I would have done was restored it back to to the stock CAI to see if it helps. Since you said you changed it on Sat then did your first long drive on Sun, there may be something that came loose or isn't properly installed or lining up ect. If it has no change THEN I would look elsewhere. Do you have access to a Scanner? Do a drive and record the info as you recreate the problem, you'll know in just a few minutes what to look for, since you will have all info that will be involved in this problem recorded for you. This is the perfect problem to use the scan tool on, (after the old CAI is back in place and problem still exists of course).
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

My car was doing that when my alt failed, not getting enough juice to fire plugs at WOT.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What happened to the good old days when all you needed to worry about with the ignition were plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points and condenser? And setting the timing and point gap was a breeze...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
What happened to the good old days when all you needed to worry about with the ignition were plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points and condenser? And setting the timing and point gap was a breeze...
Agreed! When I first told my dad about the problem he told me to check all those things, I was like dad its not that simple anymore lol. He drives a 1987 Ford F-150 still
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

Also I stated in the OP that I had my cousins scanner hooked up and everything read good. However that was just at idle and revving, I'll go back on Monday and see if he can have it scanning while under a load. Its just hard to say without a code, I mean what should I do replace all the coils?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I hear my dad talk about his old shop classes and such and I kinda envy him.

Nothing more frustrating than working on your car and not having any idea or tools to fix the issue.

When I was still messing with my CAI and tune, it ran lean and was underpowered and DIDN'T throw a CEL.

If a COP was messing up consistently under power, why isn't it throwing a light?

Curious and Curiouser.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If a COP was flat dead or switching on & off, it would definitely throw a code. But if it was still firing weakly, it may not trigger a code.

Sparta, put some new plugs in it first and try it. Use Motorcraft or Autolite - do not do Champions. WOT is pig rich and the engine is under a big load -thats when plugs start doing weird things.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

He said he just put a K&N in it too. I would clean the MAF sensor. It may be coated in oil from that filter.

Quick Reply: Engine stutter, hesitation at WOT